What Are We Reading In January?

Discuss your favourite books and let us read your own stories and poems.

Re: What Are We Reading In January?

Postby Gal » 15 Jan 2017, 13:59

JoM wrote:Gal, there was a Nick Alexander book which was coming up at 99p last night so I had a look through his list of books and, if you manage to get on okay with it, there's a short story sequel to The Other Son.

Thanks Jo - can you remember what it was called? I didn't mind The Other Son, so might be a nice sequel.

I haven't started another one yet - might later today :)
Gal

Postby Diflower » 15 Jan 2017, 14:18

I finished an Amanda Prowse, The Christmas Café, light but enjoyable.
Choosing what to read next, maybe something slightly more demanding :)
Diflower

Postby JoM » 15 Jan 2017, 20:12

Gal, it's The Other Son (Christmas Bonus). It seems to only be as a Kindle book but then you can read that on anything if you haven't got a Kindle, and the book's showing as free at the moment.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Gal » 22 Jan 2017, 18:24

Thanks Jo - I did enjoy it, although the one I have just finished was better - What Goes Around by Julie Corbin, I'll be looking out for more from her!

Just started Rylan's autobiography ;) :lol:
Gal

Postby Diflower » 23 Jan 2017, 18:50

I've started A House for Happy Mothers, which I think was a kindle bargain a while ago.
So far so good; the House is a surrogacy clinic in India, all completely legal and legitimate.
It tells the stories of the Indian couple from California who are paying to have a baby, and of the Indian woman who is the surrogate, and her family.
Diflower

Postby TheOstrich » 26 Jan 2017, 20:58

Just finished "Small Great Things" by Jodi Picquolt. It's a novel centering on current-day American civil rights.

I hadn't realised how compelling and powerful a writer she is. I'll certainly be looking to find more of her books in the local library.
TheOstrich

Postby JoM » 27 Jan 2017, 13:23

I've read quite a few of her books Ossie, she certainly makes you question what you would do in certain situations.

I made the mistake of watching a movie based on one of her books which I'd read once, My Sister's Keeper, and I was furious that the ending had been totally changed, apparently it was changed against Jodi Picoult's wishes :x

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Diflower » 29 Jan 2017, 14:11

Finished the House for happy mothers the other day, really enjoyed that but it's now £3.98 on amazon.
Now started The Language of Flowers here but that's no longer a bargain either...good so far.
Diflower

Previous

Return to The Library