What Are We Reading In May?

Discuss your favourite books and let us read your own stories and poems.

What Are We Reading In May?

Postby Ally » 16 May 2016, 07:58

I'm reading Blind Fury by Lynda La Plante and loving it!

I read 310 pages yesterday as I lay on the sun lounger all day! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Re: What Are We Reading In May?

Postby Kaz » 16 May 2016, 17:40

I read two books over the weekend, both on kindle. The first was Good Morning Corfu by Maddie Grigg, who writes a column for The People's Friend. She lives in Dorset, somewhere she calls Lush Places but I think is where our old member Fugitive (aka Fuginev and before that Mornev) lives, ie Bridport or West Bay. In fact I think they know each other as it was through Fugi that I 'found' Maddie on Facebook and started following her posts and blogs about her life in both Lush Places and a village in Corfu that she calls Agios Magikades ;)

Now she's written the book, so I ordered it for kindle and thoroughly enjoyed it! :D It's about how she and the mister decided to up sticks from Dorset and spend a year living in Corfu, which they already knew well from holidaying there. It was a terrific read, I recommend it to anyone 8-) 8-)

The second was a bit of froth called Fat Chance, which I think was a freebie from Amazon a while back. It's about a couple who enter a competition set by a local radio station, to see which couple can lose the most weight over a 6 month period. It was very funny, and having been on diets a lot in my adult life it made me laugh a lot and also smile ruefully in places :)

I also started The Jane Austen Book Club, by Karen Joy Fowler which I believe was a best seller, and a film, but in paperback format this time. I picked it up for £1 in The Works but hadn't realised what a absolutely teeny tiny font it was in :shock: :shock: The first chapter gave me a pain behind the eyes so I gave up on it :geek: :? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Postby Ally » 17 May 2016, 08:56

Oh I like the sound of that Fat Chance Kaz..will look out for it. :D

My gran used to buy the People's Friend every week and when I was about 8 I entered (and won) a writing competition grandly titled - Penny by the Seaside. :lol:

I won a nurses outfit. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Diflower » 17 May 2016, 14:44

I read Fat Chance, it'll be on here somewhere :)

Yes Fugi does know Maddie :)

I finally finished the Jeffrey Archer, Be Careful What You Wish for. This was the 4th in the Clifton Chronicles, still really enjoying them and have downloaded book 5 but will have a break first ;)

Several on the kindle to choose from, I think The House of Happy Mothers next (sorry on kindle, the links go wrong).
Trouble is, I used to read in the afternoons but am often too tired :roll:
Last edited by Diflower on 17 May 2016, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Diflower

Postby Diflower » 17 May 2016, 14:47

Ally wrote:Oh I like the sound of that Fat Chance Kaz..will look out for it. :D

My gran used to buy the People's Friend every week and when I was about 8 I entered (and won) a writing competition grandly titled - Penny by the Seaside. :lol:

I won a nurses outfit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh well done :D
I came second in a competition in Pony magazine and won a big box of chocolates and a colouring set. I wasn't happy as 1st prize was a year's riding lessons :( :D
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 17 May 2016, 17:21

Oh wow Ally, how lovely to win a competition like that! :D You too Di, although it's a shame about the lessons!

Fat chance was a fun read, I think you'd enjoy it Ally :D

Di I thought I was right about Fugi and Maddie 8-) :D She can certainly write, I loved the book 8-) 8-)
Kaz

Postby Osc » 17 May 2016, 19:19

I collected an ordered book from the library today, A Natural Woman, a memoir by Carole King. I have read about three chapters already, I know I am going to enjoy it having seen the musical about her during our recent London trip.

I loved The Jane Austen Book Club! Try and get it in bigger print, Kaz, it is a lovely read.
Osc

Postby Kaz » 17 May 2016, 19:39

I mean to Osc, as the small amount I did manage to read before eye strain set in was very good 8-) :)
Kaz

Return to The Library