What are we reading in July?

Discuss your favourite books and let us read your own stories and poems.

What are we reading in July?

Postby Ally » 30 Jun 2019, 22:49

This is a different one....

I'm reading Stages of Grief (Marie Curie online) and am finding it painful, heart breaking, so so sad and strangely comforting. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Nothing prepares you for this...... :(
Ally
Site Admin

Re: What are we reading in July?

Postby Kaz » 01 Jul 2019, 09:58

No, it really doesn't. I hope the book is helpful ((((x))))

I've just started The Ghost Tree by Barbara Erskine. It's about a woman who returns to Edinburgh after the death of her father, only to find a (not very nice) man living in his house, claiming to be his long-lost son. Whilst there she starts to dream (or have psychic flashes) about the life of her ancestor who lived in Edinburgh three centuries ago. It's engrossing so far 8-)
Kaz

Postby Gal2 » 01 Jul 2019, 17:10

I've bought a couple of books for my kindle as I do like to read when I'm on holiday!

Started one the other day, it's called The Perfect Child by Lucinda Berry. It's a little predictable in parts but enjoyable enough.
Gal2
Site Admin

Postby TheOstrich » 01 Jul 2019, 19:16

{{Ally}} - hope you're finding that book a help.

I've just finished two books, strangely, with the same title - but very different.

"Run Away" by the prolific American author Harlen Coben is a pretty typical run-of-the-mill thriller, wouldn't be up there necessarily for a Pulitzer Prize. :D What he does have going for him is some ingeneous plot twists, usually in the final 50 pages or so.

"Runaway" by Peter May, the Scottish author of the (amongst other) Enzo McLeod crime thriller series, (with a strong French background), is a stand-alone book about 5 Glasgow lads heading for London back in the 1960's to find fame and fortune, and how it all goes terribly wrong. Written in the current day, but with long flashbacks to 1965, it's quite a tour de force of two very different cultures, and an excellent read. Peter May is sometimes not the easiest of authors but this was very readable, and quite a page-turner.
TheOstrich

Postby JoM » 30 Jul 2019, 15:02

I've read a few Harlem Coben books in the past Ossie, he's good at the old plot twist isn't he.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby JoM » 30 Jul 2019, 15:05

I've started "Till The Cows Come Home. A Lancashire Childhood" by Sara Cox.

So far it's very good.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Return to The Library