What are we reading in June?

Discuss your favourite books and let us read your own stories and poems.

Re: What are we reading in June?

Postby JoM » 11 Jun 2020, 11:57

I really enjoyed The Accident.

I’ve now started Little White Secrets by Carol Mason. Four chapters in and I’ve just been reading it while blasting my hair with the hair dryer so I think that says a lot :lol:

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Gal2 » 11 Jun 2020, 19:25

Well I started a new one but I can't get into it - Playing Away by Adele Parks. I keep thinking I'll abandon it, I'm 30% through it, but I haven't yet.
Gal2
Site Admin

Postby cruiser2 » 13 Jun 2020, 16:56

JUst bought another Ian Rankin detective. It was on offer with DM from Tesco.

I usually buy books from a shop which sells second hand ones. Books are sorted into different catories and the alphabetically by author.
I can get three for £1.00. I always take them back Amnearly at the end of my supply. Hopefully will be able to get some more next week.

Don't have a kindle
cruiser2

Postby Gal2 » 14 Jun 2020, 20:53

Gal2 wrote:Well I started a new one but I can't get into it - Playing Away by Adele Parks. I keep thinking I'll abandon it, I'm 30% through it, but I haven't yet.

I did abandon it and have in the meanwhile read all of this one - The Secret Mother by Shalini Boland. It was fast and a good read.

Now, do I return to Playing Away, or......
Gal2
Site Admin

Postby JoM » 14 Jun 2020, 21:02

Gal2 wrote:
Gal2 wrote:Well I started a new one but I can't get into it - Playing Away by Adele Parks. I keep thinking I'll abandon it, I'm 30% through it, but I haven't yet.

I did abandon it and have in the meanwhile read all of this one - The Secret Mother by Shalini Boland. It was fast and a good read.

That’s getting mixed reviews on Amazon isn’t it...quite a few seem unimpressed. I’m sure I’ve read one of her’s but I can’t think which.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Ally » 15 Jun 2020, 17:07

I've just started You're All Mine by Ruth Harrow.

So far, so good.
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Gal2 » 15 Jun 2020, 22:18

JoM wrote:
Gal2 wrote:

That’s getting mixed reviews on Amazon isn’t it...quite a few seem unimpressed. I’m sure I’ve read one of her’s but I can’t think which.

I've not seen the reviews Jo - are you on Goodreads? I tend to look at them (but those seemed favourable, as far as I can remember! I bought it at the end of last year!!)
Gal2
Site Admin

Postby TheOstrich » 17 Jun 2020, 11:42

cruiser2 wrote:JUst bought another Ian Rankin detective. It was on offer with DM from Tesco.

I usually buy books from a shop which sells second hand ones. Books are sorted into different catories and the alphabetically by author.
I can get three for £1.00. I always take them back Amnearly at the end of my supply. Hopefully will be able to get some more next week.

Don't have a kindle

Same here, Cruiser - no Kindle and I prefer a hardback. I've got about 30 unread books on the shelves at present. :D Our local Tesco has stopped stocking hardbacks, though, and WH Smiths are a waste of space these days. We do have an independent bookshop in Castle Cary about 40 minutes drive away, but otherwise Oxfam have a great second-hand bookshop in Shaftesbury which is always a good bet to pick up just about anything. We recycle our books through there.

I'm about 80% of the way through my 2,500 page fantasy epic which I started 6 weeks ago :roll: . It's not bad but somewhat archaic and a bit heavy going at times. :lol:

As light relief, I've broken off it to read, at various times:

1. "Carry on, Jeeves", a short story collection from PG Wodehouse. Easy read and rollicking fun, especially as you can see Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie in your mind's eye.

2. "Agent Running in the Field" (2019) by John Le Carre. Spy thriller as you'd expect but very topical, many entertaining comments about Brexit, the EU and Donald Trump, and unusually for Le Carre, very much a "caper" story and not his usual long-winded dirge. Obviously having fun at the end of his career!

3. "Arrowood" (2020) by Mick Finlay, a Brighton-based Scot who teaches Psychology and has also written research articles. This is his first novel, and the premise is "London Society takes its problems to Sherlock Holmes; everyone else goes to Arrowood!" Quite dark, leaning more towards Ripper Street than Conan Doyle, but a plot that draws you in, and a colourful cast of London's Victorian Underworld that you wouldn't want to meet on the street- rogues, washerwomen, toffs, Fenians, urchins, piemen, bent coppers, Missionary women, mysterious Frenchmen! Much slang language from the time - growlers (horse cabs) and betties (lockpicks). It's also quite humorous at times, especially when Arrowood sounds off about Sherlock Holmes's wretched publicity, through Watson's writings in The Strand, getting him all the best cases! :lol: Recommended!

Mrs O has read and also enjoyed all those three books.
TheOstrich

Postby TheOstrich » 17 Jun 2020, 22:58

Who is currently my No.1 Hate Authoress? :shock:

Answer - Linda La Plante! :evil:

Why? :?

I've just started reading her Jane Tennison novel "The Dirty Dozen".
On Page 42, she's written (conversation between Tennison and another character):
..... "One was a case where I was a probationer, and the other more recent when a dentist who murdered four people committed suicide. Thankfully I was only given some words of advice and a slap on the wrist in both cases."
"I remember reading about the murders in Peckham Rye about a year ago, and the press kept using the headline "Murder Mile". I couldn't believe a Harley Street Dentist was responsible ...."

Thanks a bunch!

I have Linda La Plante's "Murder Mile" unread on my bookshelves ..... :roll: :cute: :evil: :lol:
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 22 Jun 2020, 09:00

Ally wrote:I've just started You're All Mine by Ruth Harrow.

So far, so good.

Loved it! Bought the other one she has written In Her Footsteps. Starting that today.

I've looked at an author I've not heard of before Clare Mackintosh.

There's 4 to be read in order so I've just bought the first one I Let You Go.

That's next then..... :lol:
Ally
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Library