What are we reading in February?

Discuss your favourite books and let us read your own stories and poems.

What are we reading in February?

Postby Ally » 01 Feb 2024, 08:37

I've just started Make Her Pay by Miranda Rijks.
Ally
Site Admin

Re: What are we reading in February?

Postby TheOstrich » 09 Feb 2024, 22:21

Having just finished the Hilary Mantel historical epic about Thomas Cromwell "The Mirror and The Light" (very good!), I wanted something a little bit lighter ....

I've recently been re-watching that excellent TV Series "Monarch of the Glen" on BBC iPlayer (Richard Briers, Susan Hampshire), so I thought I'd see if I could get hold of the original 1941 Compton McKenzie novel. Down here, we have a service called Libraries West which allows you to order, on-line, library books from any of the seven regions involved in it - basically from South Gloucestershire down to Bournmouth and Bath across to Minehead. The books take a while to arrive at your local library for pick-up - Mrs O has been waiting for one novel to arrive from Weston-super-Mare Library for nearly a month now :D - but generally the system works very well. I found they had just a single copy copy of the Compton McKenzie novel, and it was being held in the Reserve Section (attic? basement? :mrgreen: ) of the Bristol Central Lending Library, ordered it, and it arrived today! It's a 1963 hardback reprint and appears to have started active life with the "City and County of Bristol Mobile Library Service" and therefore pre-dates even the County of Avon! It's got its original type-written library catalogue card inside the front cover.

The book's prose is very dated, but it's a fun read! :lol:
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 10 Feb 2024, 16:09

Well, I never knew there was a book! :oops: :D I absolutely loved the TV series, so went onto Amazon to look it up! Seemingly set many years before the series, with different characters, but I have bought it for my kindle :Hi:

Thanks Ossie :D
Kaz

Postby Kaz » 10 Feb 2024, 16:09

Ally wrote:I've just started Make Her Pay by Miranda Rijks.

How was it, Al?
Kaz

Postby TheOstrich » 10 Feb 2024, 19:20

Kaz wrote:Well, I never knew there was a book! :oops: :D I absolutely loved the TV series, so went onto Amazon to look it up! Seemingly set many years before the series, with different characters, but I have bought it for my kindle :Hi:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't know what you'll make of it, Kaz, it's like a "Carry On" farce from the last century with very stereotypical characters - but it's quite interesting in that it does mention Scottish Nationalism and the "Right to Roam" movement.
TheOstrich

Postby Ally » 13 Feb 2024, 08:48

Kaz wrote:
Ally wrote:I've just started Make Her Pay by Miranda Rijks.

How was it, Al?

I enjoyed it Kaz but I like all her books. Very readable. :D
Ally
Site Admin

Postby Kaz » 13 Feb 2024, 16:08

Ally wrote:I enjoyed it Kaz but I like all her books. Very readable. :D

8-) :D I will look out for her then :)
Kaz

Postby Kaz » 13 Feb 2024, 16:09

TheOstrich wrote:
Kaz wrote:Well, I never knew there was a book! :oops: :D I absolutely loved the TV series, so went onto Amazon to look it up! Seemingly set many years before the series, with different characters, but I have bought it for my kindle :Hi:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't know what you'll make of it, Kaz, it's like a "Carry On" farce from the last century with very stereotypical characters - but it's quite interesting in that it does mention Scottish Nationalism and the "Right to Roam" movement.

It actually sounds like my kind of thing - I like "quirky" :D I just need to finish the new Shari Low I have just started first 8-)
Kaz

Return to The Library