Kindles

Discuss your favourite books and let us read your own stories and poems.

Kindles

Postby Gal » 30 Dec 2015, 12:26

OK so I am now the owner of a Kindle :)

As a library borrower, I never pay for books, and even if I do pre-order one, then I pay the huge amount of 40p for the privelege. I know you can sometimes get free titles from Amazon for the Kindle but are they likely to be titles that I'd enjoy reading? And the newer titles would be to pay for yes?

Is this going to cost me where before it didn't?

I'm such a skinflint :lol: :roll:
Gal

Re: Kindles

Postby Diflower » 30 Dec 2015, 12:38

You can always get free titles from Amazon :)
Go to kindle store/books and you will find the top 100 in two charts, one paid and one free.
Have a look through the best-rated, read the reviews and try a few :)

Then there are loads that are under £1 as well, often really good ones.
The thread in here 'A good buy/free' is almost all Amazon kindle deals - sign up for the kindle deals emails, it only takes a few seconds to see if there are any you fancy.
The deals are often free or 99p for a limited time and can be brand new releases.
Have a look on amazon at authors you like, sometimes one title will be cheap or free and others full price.

Do you really never buy books then Gal?
Before both of us had problems with 'real' books, we'd both buy loads at charity shops and car boot sales. Charity shops often charge £2 so I'm more than happy spending 99p or £1.99 for the kindle editions.

Edited to add - you'll find virtually any 'classic' you can think of for free, the first book I downloaded was Pride & Prejudice :)
Diflower

Postby Gal » 30 Dec 2015, 12:52

Diflower wrote:Do you really never buy books then Gal?

No never. I go to the library, if you don't use it, you lose it :) Jen has a lot, and wouldn't use a kindle herself, but her choices are not mine, she looks upon mine as 'chick-lit' but I don't - I think I have a wider range of tastes than that. I always have used a library, I restamp them if I don't finish one in time (notoriously slow reader!) and as I say I can order them in advance or if I fancy a particular book, I put my name down for it and they text me/email me when it's in.

So, I ummed and ahhed about getting a kindle in the first place, was going to treat myself after Christmas and then Santa got to it first! :)
Gal

Postby Kaz » 01 Jan 2016, 23:19

What Di said, about the freebies and 99p deals, I never pay much for my kindle books and as Di said lots of the classics are free, My first download was the whole works of Dickens! :)

That's the most highbrow though LOL mainly it is modern novels, lots of good deals to be had :D
Kaz

Postby Rodo » 02 Jan 2016, 09:52

I was wondering whether to get one for hubby for his birthday which is coming up soon.

Any advice on models as to which is best?
Rodo

Postby Diflower » 02 Jan 2016, 11:42

This is where you need to think what's actually wanted, and to distinguish between plain kindle readers and tablets.

If it's for reading books, then I think the 'paperwhite' ones are reckoned to be best, but I'd go on amazon and check the reviews for those vs the plain kindle to see if the extra price is worth it.

The kindle fires and fire hdx etc are actual tablets, and very good they are too, if that's what's wanted.
But if it's for reading books, then the plain old kindle would still be my choice; they're slimmer and much lighter, to hold and if course to take anywhere with you.

I do have a few cookbooks on my fire hdx, but I read on my plain kindle reader. It becomes heavy to hold after a while, the reader is far more comfortable.
I love my fire, but it's for a different purpose, ie coming on here, fb, checking emails, etc.
Diflower

Postby Rodo » 02 Jan 2016, 12:38

He already has a Samsung tablet so I think it's the Kindle itself that is the thing I need to look at. Yes that's a point about the weight. We got the 10" tablets and they do become rather heavy after a while. I think I need to home in on Kindle or paperwhite.

Thanks for the help Di. It's good to have your mind cleared a bit when looking to buy something isn't it.
Rodo

Postby Diflower » 02 Jan 2016, 13:59

Glad to be of help Rodo :)
Bb had a Samsung tablet as well, but also has a kindle.
Worth it's weight in gold after all his eye ops, until he can see again he has the font really large.
Diflower

Postby miasmum » 02 Jan 2016, 15:03

My friend has the paper white and she really likes it Rodo. I think I would have been keener if my Kindle had been one of those.

The really annoying thing with the kindle fire is all the adverts for Amazon and games.

We have downloaded some maps onto it for our holiday.
miasmum

Postby Rodo » 02 Jan 2016, 15:06

Yes I think I have homed in on that one as being the probable best.
Rodo

Next

Return to The Library