The Ice Cream Girls Spoiler

TV, Films, Books - chat about them all here

The Ice Cream Girls Spoiler

Postby miasmum » 04 May 2013, 17:30

Has anyone else read the book and am I going mad? I was convinced that somewhere in the ending the ex girlfriend was involved, to be honest from what I remembered of the book I thought she was the killer. I obviously got that badly wrong, but did she have any part in that night and the killing of Marcus?
miasmum

Re: The Ice Cream Girls Spoiler

Postby debih » 04 May 2013, 18:56

So did I. :o :o :o :o
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby TheOstrich » 04 May 2013, 19:57

The ex wasn't directly involved in the killing that night, no. But when they tracked her down, she did let slip a vital clue which put them on the right road to unmask the killer, and clear Poppy.

I haven't read the book, but I've read elsewhere that the TV adaptation was faithful to the book in the ending.
TheOstrich

Postby miasmum » 04 May 2013, 23:00

Deb I am glad you said that. I am sure it was Os, but it seems strange both Deb and i thought that. Will have to get the book from the library and re read the end
miasmum

Postby miasmum » 05 May 2013, 00:55

Deb, we are not going mad, read the second paragraph of this

http://unrealityshout.com/blogs/the-ice-cream-girls-who’s-the-killer

not sure where your info came from Os, but it looks like it was wrong.

ETA - just tried the link and it didn't work, so this is the second paragraph

The book by Dorothy Koomson was released back in 2010 with the same name and now the drama has arrived on our screens on ITV. I have read the book so I have noticed some differences so far in the drama and the ending is meant to be different also so I'm not sure who the killer is.
miasmum

Postby TheOstrich » 05 May 2013, 19:44

I was going on this, MM:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... eview.html

So, it was Serena’s mother, Rachel (Doña Croll), all along, was it? Really? We were expected to believe that this woman – a leading lawyer – had, two decades earlier in an uncharacteristically crazed fit of bloodletting, murdered the teacher who abused her daughter? And she not only allowed her daughter to be tried for the offence, but let another entirely innocent, even more vulnerable child, Poppy, take the rap for her crime and serve out a life sentence? Without any guilt or regret? Yeah, sure. You really do take us for suckers, don’t you ITV?

What’s silly is that The Ice Cream Girls could well have been a cracking drama had some care been invested in its adaptation. Dorothy Koomson’s novel about Poppy and Serena, two women divided by time and a terrible shared injustice, was a big bestseller – much of its appeal attributed to this same shock-twist ending.

This was the extremely critical review I mentioned in the other thread which I felt, and still feel, was grossly unfair. Pleased to read on the other thread that you enjoyed the denoument, Rodo.

Ossie
TheOstrich

Postby miasmum » 05 May 2013, 19:51

Ah right, well I am convinced the ex girlfriend killed him and it appears Debih thought the same.
miasmum

Postby debih » 08 May 2013, 09:33

I'm still convinced that it was the ex girlfriend that killled him in the book.

I am going to have to go into the library to read the last chapter again to convince myself!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Return to Entertainment