Jamie's Fifteen Minute Meals

TV, Films, Books - chat about them all here

Jamie's Fifteen Minute Meals

Postby Fugitive » 29 Nov 2012, 17:58

Jamie's Fifteen Minute Meals! When will it be over? Every dish looks the same served on a board with great camera shots. It is messy, unappetising, too many expensive ingredients and too many of them! If the name wasn't Jamie Oliver any other chef wouldn't have got a chance cooking like that. A step too far Jamie :?:
Fugitive

Re: Jamie's Fifteen Minute Meals

Postby debih » 29 Nov 2012, 18:35

I quite enjoyed watching this when we were on holiday in the Lakes - but I did only have to watch 5 episodes!!! It does seem to be going on for ever doesn't it - I wonder if he is doing EVERY recipe in the book.

I borrowed the book from the library - not impressed at all. And I hate the way he bungs everything on a big board for people to "dig into".
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Fugitive » 29 Nov 2012, 19:30

Yes, I like sharing food from dishes on the table but every single one of his meals have been served on a wooden board. I love cruditees, cold plates of mixed seafoods, cheese and fruit, smoked meats, dips on sharing plates but hot meats, fish, salads all mixed up with sauces is a car crash.
Fugitive

Postby saundra » 29 Nov 2012, 19:35

it just looks like mush to me
ok if you have a food processor but all the mess ugh
im not impressed at all
saundra

Postby Fugitive » 30 Nov 2012, 17:22

saundra wrote:it just looks like mush to me
ok if you have a food processor but all the mess ugh
im not impressed at all

Last night he processed skin-on potatoes and brussel sprouts, cooked them for five minutes, added something odd, anything as long as it wasn't butter, mashed and served them and I thought Why? I'd rather buy fresh ready mash from Sainsbury's and microwave them for a few minutes if I was in that much of a hurry.
Fugitive

Postby Workingman » 02 Dec 2012, 22:44

Forty episodes of bashing about in the kitchen with expensive ingredients thrown together on a bit of wood!

If I want a salad and a sandwich or a bowl of hot food I'd rather take a bit more time and do it properly, thank you.

If it wasn't for the "name" nobody would watch it. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 03 Dec 2012, 09:54

I think it might have been better if he'd instead shown people that they only need to spend around 15-30 minutes making/preparing proper meals, actual time spent in the kitchen.
The way he does it, you certainly need 10 minutes beforehand getting everything ready, and more than that to clear up after.

He makes it all look so frantic - but I often spend only around 15-20 mins getting a meal ready, without any rush.
It doesn't mean we eat within 15 mins of me going into the kitchen, although half an hour is very do-able.

Yesterday's pasta dish took me about 10 minutes prep, then the sauce was left to cook; a minute or two to drain the pasta, later a minute or two to mix into the sauce and put in the dish. Made the topping, another 2 mins, into the oven and left for 30 mins. And the washing-up from the prep was all out of the way long before we ate :)
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 03 Dec 2012, 15:32

Organisation is the key, everything to hand, it only takes a few minutes. Wash as you prepare. Everything nice and tidy.

He has a team to do all that for him yet he still bashes about like a Whirling Dervish on speed. Slow down boy, I can't watch you.

I wouldn't mind, but some of his flavour combinations look interesting enough to try. Unfortunately his outcomes look like an explosion in a Covent Garden waste bin. :shock:
Workingman

Return to Entertainment