Did anyone watch Why Poverty?

TV, Films, Books - chat about them all here

Did anyone watch Why Poverty?

Postby Workingman » 03 Dec 2012, 17:11

It was a BBC4 programme about a scheme to teach women from poor countries how to make solar lights. It was uplifting and dangerous in equal measures.

On one level it was giving the women the ability to start up small scale production of solar panels and lighting from parts shipped in. They were more assembly Queens than real technicians, but still, it gave them opportunities.

On the other level it was creating friction within families where the prevailing culture was paternalistic - women had their place. One Jordanian woman's family broke up and she had to leave the home with her four children and start again.

It looked like a good idea, but the law of unitended consequencies kicked in.
Workingman

Re: Did anyone watch Why Poverty?

Postby Paddypix » 03 Dec 2012, 22:25

Workingman wrote:It looked like a good idea, but the law of unitended consequencies kicked in.

It always does, doesn't it? It's such a shame, considering that the original idea was giving women opportunities they wouldn't otherwise have had. I didn't see the programme but it sounds interesting.
Paddypix

Postby Workingman » 03 Dec 2012, 22:42

It will be on BBC iPlayer to catch up.

The women were sent from Jordan, Burkina Faso and Kenya to a training school in India. Basically it is a good idea, but unfortunately it did not take into consideration local culture. I bet that there are lots of good schemes that fail because they do not take into account how the local culture operates. They are NOT the same as us no matter how hard we pretend that they are.
Workingman

Postby Paddypix » 04 Dec 2012, 10:34

You are so right WM. We have had centuries of development and many years of struggle for women's rights, whereas so many of these middle eastern and African countries are still mired in the dark ages. We can't just impose our values on them and expect them to welcome it with open arms. It's mostly the men who need to be educated but often the women are also resistant to change even when it means that life for them and their daughters would be improved.
Paddypix

Postby Workingman » 04 Dec 2012, 19:32

Have you watched yet? I got a bit annoyed towards the end because I felt that the man running the scheme, those providing the parts, and the camera crew and presenter were all using and patronising these women.

I am looking forward to the next instalment/programme.
Workingman

Postby Paddypix » 04 Dec 2012, 20:20

I haven't watched it yet because iPlayer is screwing up my laptop. It worked fine before but suddenly when I open it up my screen goes black for a moment and then comes up like one of those blurry faded pictures which have to be viewed through 3D glasses. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled but it's still the same.
Paddypix

Postby Workingman » 04 Dec 2012, 20:51

Have you the latest Flash for iPlayer?
Workingman

Postby Paddypix » 04 Dec 2012, 21:52

Oh! There's a thought :idea: . I'll go and have a look.
Paddypix

Postby Paddypix » 04 Dec 2012, 23:13

I've checked my Flash and it's version 11.5. I downloaded the latest one to be on the safe side. Then I tried iPlayer again. Same thing I'm afraid. I uninstalled it and reinstalled but it's still messing up my screen. Every time I try it, I have to reboot. I've given up on it now but I can still watch BBC channels online, I just can't download them for watching later offline.
Paddypix

Postby Workingman » 04 Dec 2012, 23:55

Have you tried the info on this page Liz?

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/h ... recognised

I don't use the app just watch from the net.
Workingman

Next

Return to Entertainment