The 1970s supermarket...

TV, Films, Books - chat about them all here

The 1970s supermarket...

Postby Workingman » 09 Feb 2024, 15:56

... prompted by today's shop. It's on C5 on Thursdays or catch up.

I remember those days. Men in lime green flares and powder blue jackets, the women with beehive hairdos in paisley patterned blouses, mini skirts and cream boots. They were buying up Angel Delights, Spam (for fritters?), Vesta curries, Cornettos, Arctic rolls and Pot Noodles and, of course, chicken Kievs. And who can forget pickled onion Monster Munch? :shock: :lol:

Then there were the "dinner parties" with prawn cocktails, plenty of Liebfraumilch or Black Tower to wash down the Kievs, and a relaxing Bailey's with a few After Eights to finish things off.

How things have changed, but not really for the better. Now people shop in their jim-jams for ready meals, 'ping' cuisine or cook-in sauces because they can't cook or they order in a pizza, Indian or Chinese - food not people - delivered by someone on a bike.

The only downside to the programme is that they have dug up the most annoying person in the Galaxy to help present it - Rustie Lee. :(
Workingman

Re: The 1970s supermarket...

Postby Kaz » 09 Feb 2024, 17:08

She's why I can't watch it! :P :lol:

Yes, I remember those days too :lol: :lol:
Kaz

Re: The 1970s supermarket...

Postby JoM » 18 Feb 2024, 13:58

I have never tried Spam :lol:

Fray Bentos pies are a memory of the 70s though. Not something we had very often as my mom usually made pies from scratch but there was always one in the cupboard in case a quick dinner was needed.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Return to Entertainment