Chaos in our little village

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Chaos in our little village

Postby meriad » 07 Jun 2024, 12:01

we have one road that goes through the village; and said road is closed because of a burst sewer pipe. The roads that can be used as diversion are not really suitable for HGV's at the best of times; made worse today because no one has the patience or grace to give enough space for them to even try pass, so it's all a bit chaotic at the moment :o . I managed to get to Sainsbury's and have topped up on the necessary bits needed for the next two days, and am now hoping that the road reopens by Sunday as has been promised. But for the next 24, possibly more, hours I'm hunkering down here at home.
meriad

Re: Chaos in our little village

Postby cromwell » 07 Jun 2024, 12:21

What a nuisance Ria. I really hope the road gets done asap.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby TheOstrich » 07 Jun 2024, 16:42

Tough luck, Ria, hope they get that sewer fixed soon.

In the "road-repair" season (last March, with the Councils and utilities trying to use up their maintenance budgets or lose them), we reached a state in our town where 4 of the 5 roads in and out were subject either to full closure for resurfacing or traffic light control where Wessex Water were digging everything up. It was wonderfully quiet on the town's inner ring-road ...... :D
TheOstrich

Postby cruiser2 » 07 Jun 2024, 21:07

United utilities have just finished doing a repair on a water leak to a house at the bottom of the Crescent. This is about the sixth time they
have been out to this house. A different section of the road and pavement has ben dug up each time. No other houses seem to have any
problems.
cruiser2

Postby Kaz » 08 Jun 2024, 17:01

Oh no! Ria I hope you're back to normal tomorrow, as promised :shock:
Kaz

Postby Suff » 09 Jun 2024, 21:57

Hi Ria, hope things are better now. I crossed over yesterday morning after driving to Calais on Friday. Still trying to get into the van and it's not going well on that front.

Traffic is a real pain when that happens. There was an accident on the main truck route south of our town in France and it closed the road. They diverted through our town and we had around 10,000 trucks through it in about 24 hours. 3 different Gendarmerie controls on the traffic at 3 difficult turns.

It's hell when it's like that.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby meriad » 10 Jun 2024, 07:37

Well apparently the road will remain closed through to Wednesday (if we are lucky).... no buses at all running through the village, how kids are meant to get to school or people that rely on the bus to get to work / their shopping / medical appointments is beyond me.

Apparently when this happened before a good few years back, the bus company arranged that the bus would run to a certain point on the one side of the closure, and then people got off and walked past the closure and got on another bus that continued the other side, buses obviously timed to meet up / they waited for each other. But apparently this isn't going to be in place for this closure.
meriad

Postby Kaz » 10 Jun 2024, 08:56

Good grief Ria, that's ridiculous :shock:
Kaz

Postby victor » 11 Jun 2024, 17:02

Afternoon all,
Just as stupid as here where the council in it's wisdom has altered a bus route which will mean all the buses will have to cross a pedestrian zone to get to the bus station.
Now I know there will be lights but what about deaf/ blind people and small children running .

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk
victor

Postby JoM » 20 Jun 2024, 14:19

Ria, those big electronic matrix signs have appeared around our area saying that various A roads are closed between certain dates yet no one knows why and exactly how much of the roads will be closed. The main A34 into town is one of them, it runs through our village and loads of diversion signs have appeared, taking all traffic up and down one of the lanes (it’s a two way lane but still quite narrow and twisty and not suitable for the large lorries and buses which will be using it).
Today is the first day that the road is supposed to be closed, although the dates on the signs change on a daily basis but currently state the 20th-29th, and it’s still open but a smaller sign has appeared on a lamppost saying that the road will be closed sometime during the next 7 days for surface dressing, so it doesn’t appear that the road will be closed for very long at all…but who knows.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Return to Cafe