Energy bills

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Re: Energy bills

Postby cromwell » 15 Jun 2024, 14:40

BT have brought a new billing system in. It seems to vary in the length, not like a regular quarterly bill. I prefer the old bill through the ost, which we have always had. Direct debits tend to err on the isde of the supplier, from what I've seen.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 15 Jun 2024, 15:06

cromwell wrote:Direct debits tend to err on the side of the supplier, from what I've seen.

You got that one right! My last offer was £170 pcm when I only used on average £105 pcm. So, I pay monthly on my debit card. This month should be about £60 gas and elec. It will be lower in July and August. The most I have ever paid is £149.15 and that was last December / January. Spreadsheets are your friend. ;)

I like to pay for what I use and not what some wonk 'thinks' I might use. And I will never have a smart meter unless they become compulsory.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 16 Jun 2024, 08:14

Loath to talk about my bills since we got the solar panels - you might all hate me :P ;)
Kaz

Postby saundra » 17 Jun 2024, 15:59

Last year our HA said we where being accessed for solar panels well that didn't happen
Last week we got a letter we are having new double glazing this year not in my house im not
Had them in different house few years ago night mare event
saundra

Postby JanB » 17 Jun 2024, 19:59

Kaz wrote:Loath to talk about my bills since we got the solar panels - you might all hate me

:lol: :lol:

We used to pay about 2.50€ a month, when we had workable solar.

Now, even with the pool, it's under 50€ a month, normally about 35€, so happy with that.
JanB

Postby Suff » 18 Jun 2024, 23:31

I have just fallen back into paying monthly for my electricity. They don't even have a meter installed yet but it works like this. The site pays for the electric and I pay a management company for the metered electric I use.

Cost is going to be 26p per kw/h daytime and 20p per kw/h nighttime.

So now I need to work out how much power I'm going to be paying for. Because I've worked out that simply putting in a 10kw/h battery, charging it at night and running the van off it during the day would save me £219 a year if I use 10kw/h each daytime. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to use that as I have a gas boiler and hot water is gas and heating is gas. So I will need to work it out.

Equally solar which will cost to get installed then there are batteries etc. Again need to work it out. Also they are starting to fit air source heat pumps here for £1k to cool in the summer and provide heat in the winter. They say it's way cheaper than the gas but then again I don't know what boiler they have fitted. The van had been frozen so I paid an additional £1,700 over the top of the offer from the site (£600 ariston fitted), to get a Worcester boiler with extremely high efficiency and smart heating controls with learning. Winter will tell.

I will pre pay the meter and monitor the usage. I should see it tracking down as the power sucks out the money. I'll keep a decent stock in the account. They don't want DD, if it runs out of money they just switch it off. No overruns.

I will spreadsheet it all out and see how it goes.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Previous

Return to Cafe