This time of year I really really don't like my car

A place to chat with friends, old and new

This time of year I really really don't like my car

Postby meriad » 30 Nov 2012, 09:57

make no mistake; I'm very grateful I am able to afford one unlike many people, but.....

this time of year I have such a problem with moisture inside the car which means scraping ice off the inside and outside. The driver door often freezes shut.
Because the a/c doensn't work under a certain temperature it takes forever and a day to demist and it just becomes such a chore every morning.

This morning I took the spare key and went to start the car and left it to run for 5 mins whilst I grabbed my bits and pieces. I locked the car with the proper key and when I tried to open it the driver door won't unlock. The others all do and the only way around it by the looks of it is to get in via the passenger side; switch off the engine and remove the key; then use the main key that has the remote on it to lock and unlock the car....

I know many people have much worse problems in life and I'm very grateful for my health and everything else but I just needed to vent this morning............. so

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
meriad

Re: This time of year I really really don't like my car

Postby Weka » 30 Nov 2012, 10:18

Sounds lik you need a new car. Ice on the inside? Just how cold is it there?
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby Oojamaflip » 30 Nov 2012, 10:22

Meriad I have exactly the same problem! It's such a bore. Recently from Aldi I purchased a heated ice-scraper for the inside of the car, so I'm hoping this year will be a little easier.
<>< The reward that outdoes all others is the peace of knowing that you did the right thing ><>
Oojamaflip

Postby Workingman » 30 Nov 2012, 10:38

To stop the door sticking clean the door seals with a cloth dipped hot water and a soap-free detergent - shower gel, Stardrops, Cillit - then dry thoroughly. Now give a smear of silicon grease or spray with multi-purpose polish, do not use one with a beeswax base.

The condensation on the inside could be for a number of reasons. Try using only the heater (no air-con) for a few days with the windows cracked open to allow air circulation.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 30 Nov 2012, 10:44

We have a 5 year old Audi and last night Mick had exactly the same problem with inner condensation when he picked me up from WW :? He wasn't happy about it...................Will tell him about the heater tip WM 8-)

Weka it's cold enough for thick frost :roll:
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 30 Nov 2012, 10:52

If you can get hold of one, a bag of silica gel crystals should also help to "soak up" moisture in the car 's air. It can be reactivated over and over by leaving it on a warm radiator in the house or at work.
Workingman

Postby Weka » 30 Nov 2012, 10:57

We get thick frosts here too, but even when our car has been in snow I've never had it ice the insid o a window. Mor at leads I don't think it has?? :?
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby Oojamaflip » 30 Nov 2012, 11:13

Workingman wrote:If you can get hold of one, a bag of silica gel crystals should also help to "soak up" moisture in the car 's air. It can be reactivated over and over by leaving it on a warm radiator in the house or at work.

Ooooh, I've got hundreds (well, not literally) of those little blighters - they're packaged in everything these days. Good tip.
<>< The reward that outdoes all others is the peace of knowing that you did the right thing ><>
Oojamaflip

Postby Kaz » 30 Nov 2012, 11:56

Same here Ooj thanks to the stuff I've had delivered recently...... 8-) :lol: :lol:

Great tip WM, thanks! xxxx
Kaz

Postby Diflower » 30 Nov 2012, 12:01

I've often wondered what the best method is for the steaming-up. It seems I've probably worked it out anyway, that's what I usually do, have the heater blower on full but also the window open a little bit.
Plus, once it's going and defrosted/de-steamed, I don't have the car any warmer than necessary. If you have it very warm, then park it for a while, the condensation will be much worse when you get back in than if you let it get cooler first ;)
Diflower

Next

Return to Cafe