This time of year I really really don't like my car

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Re: This time of year I really really don't like my car

Postby Diflower » 30 Nov 2012, 12:03

Oh yes, and a nice thick microfibre cloth, that said it was specifically for cars, has turned out to be brilliant. It's the first thing I've found that you can use on the condensation on the windscreen (inside) without leaving any marks :)
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 30 Nov 2012, 12:05

Oh I like microfibre cloths for my windows! I'll look out for a car one Di 8-) :D
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 30 Nov 2012, 12:08

Oojamaflip wrote:Ooooh, I've got hundreds (well, not literally) of those little blighters - they're packaged in everything these days. Good tip.

:lol: I did mean a 500g bag of rice sort of size, not those little square things - unless you do have hundreds and can put them in a cotton bag. :)
Workingman

Postby meriad » 30 Nov 2012, 13:45

Workingman wrote:
Oojamaflip wrote:Ooooh, I've got hundreds (well, not literally) of those little blighters - they're packaged in everything these days. Good tip.

:lol: I did mean a 500g bag of rice sort of size, not those little square things - unless you do have hundreds and can put them in a cotton bag. :)

:lol: :lol: WM; although given they are packed into everything as Ooj says it probably won't take long to get a 500gr bag type together.

Weka; we had about -3 overnight apparently so it was quite cold. Last year I had the car at my regular garage for a check over to see if a small amount of water was getting in anywhere to explain the amount of condensation but they couldn't find anything. Same with another garage I took it to - they even had the carpets out to dry and did a soak test on the car - again they couldn't find if anything was coming in anywhere :(

The car is 10 years old but still - my brother has the same model and doesn't have a problem.

WM - I'll definitely give the soap and polish thing a go; anything to make sure that darn door doesn't stick on me again this year; thanks for that. And I'll also have a look for the window microfibre cloth.

thanks everyone
meriad

Postby Workingman » 30 Nov 2012, 14:02

I have been looking about and found these:

Top Tips

To prevent condensation on mirrors or windows rub a cloth with a small spot of washing up liquid over the surface. Try this at home or in the car - taxi drivers have been doing this for years!

Alternatively to prevent condensation on windows, cut a potato in half and rub across the surface then buff with a cloth.
Workingman

Postby meriad » 30 Nov 2012, 14:51

Happy to give this a try as well - if nothing else I'll have clean windows :lol:
meriad

Postby meriad » 30 Nov 2012, 14:52

Oh and Thanks WM - really appreciate you looking into this :)
meriad

Postby Fugitive » 30 Nov 2012, 15:00

I get condensation in my car because I had a very badly fitted new windscreen after a shatter. It didn't show itself until some very heavy rain and it leaked badly as the sealant rubber came loose. Too late then to complain as replacement warranty had expired so my garage superglued the rubber in place so no leaks now but condensation is the result. Some good tips here so will try some.
Fugitive

Postby Suff » 30 Nov 2012, 15:59

I used to have to deal with this in Sweden. For the lock you can get PTFE lock deicer and lubricant. I had to use some in the winter of 2010/11. However make sure your car is clean when you do it, mine ran down the salt on the side and solidified a track of muck that would not come off.

When your car is steamed up, put it on recirculate and MAX COLD with the aircon. The aircon will dehumidify the car.

Try to avoid pulling snow into the car and damp clothes. It gets into the air in the car and never gets out. I put up a picture on the old VV of the inside of my screen frozen last winter....

Also when it's really cold outside and very dry air, get the car warm then open all the windows and let the cold dry air in..

Once it's dehumidified make sure you keep the heating on open and not recirculate. The human body produces a surprising amount of water just with breath alone..
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Oojamaflip » 30 Nov 2012, 17:51

Max cold? Brrrrrrrrrrr . . . :shock:

It's instinctive to put it on max hot, as I've been doing. :?
<>< The reward that outdoes all others is the peace of knowing that you did the right thing ><>
Oojamaflip

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe