It's that time of year, so a little warning

A place to chat with friends, old and new

It's that time of year, so a little warning

Postby miasmum » 30 Nov 2012, 14:06

following on from Meriad thread

This time last year, my friend's husband left his car running, whilst he de-iced her car. His car was on the road, hers on the drive. A car pulled up, someone leapt in his car and that was it gone. No insurance nothing.

Just be careful if you leave your car running to thaw out, he literally was standing next to it
miasmum

Re: It's that time of year, so a little warning

Postby Workingman » 30 Nov 2012, 14:17

Good warning Shell, If my memory serves there were a few tragic events over the past few years with opportunists taking cars with the engine running - people being dragged along the road trying to stop the theft, babies on board - that sort of thing.

I think Ria said that she used her spare key to start the car then locked it with her normal key, which is probably safer.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 30 Nov 2012, 14:24

I'm sure she did, it just reminded me because it is easily done
miasmum

Postby meriad » 30 Nov 2012, 15:01

I'll have to admit to leaving it unlocked for a few minutes when I ran back inside to grab my handbag and tell my brother that I'd wait for him in the car. The remote control of the main key doesn't work to lock if the engine is running and because I wasn't 100% sure what would happen if I did lock the car (I had visions - and semi rightly so it turned out - that I wouldn't be able to get back in and would have to leave the car running until it ran out of petrol :oops: :oops: :oops: )and only tried it when my brother joined me a few minutes later.

BUT.... I had 2 neighbours who were outside with their cars and they kept an eye on mine whilst I ran inside and we thankfully live in a cul-de-sac so you know if there are strangers lurking about.

But I wouldn't do it again - no.... I'd rather sit in the car and wait a few minutes - too risky and stressful first thing in the morning.
meriad

Return to Cafe