Just being curious - what do you think will happen .....

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Re: Just being curious - what do you think will happen .....

Postby meriad » 26 May 2020, 11:57

Fair point Ossie and one I hadn't thought of.... hmmmm
meriad

Postby Workingman » 26 May 2020, 12:15

I have just been reading an article about this and there is a worry from some retailers and their organisations that at least in the short term things will not get back to normal. Then you read the comments from shoppers and ever so many people do want to get back out there to see the goods 'in the flesh', so to speak, rather than from a perfectly lit photo and a manufacturer's ever so positive description.

It's human nature and, despite Covid, that has never gone away. We have all been in shops and seen or heard total strangers hold up a blouse, T shirt, vase.... with "What do you think, this one or this one?" It's what we do and we will get back to doing it, slowly at first, maybe, but the 'old' normal will soon become the 'new' normal.
Workingman

Postby Gal2 » 26 May 2020, 18:11

I thought this today - I wanted a birthday card for my sister and a gift, possibly some flowers...anyway I saw a longish queue in the Co-op so avoided that, my other option was was newsagent although they don't do flowers so it would have to be a bottle of wine from there, or I could have gone to the P Office-cum-general store but that might mean 2 or 3 lots of queuing so you have to weigh up what you want on the high street before you set off as you won't want to stand in several queues...
Gal2
Site Admin

Postby meriad » 27 May 2020, 10:19

I was chatting to my upstairs neighbour we also got talking about this.... for shopping malls I think they need to have hand sanitising stations at all entries with security manning to make sure everyone coming in uses it. Masks have to be worn at ALL times. Regular cleaning of touch points such as handrails and a few more hand sanitising stations throughout.

That I think would be more than sufficient and would keep things flowing; and because of the masks the 2m distancing isn't as much an issue any more; but as said - masks have to be worn at all times
meriad

Postby Kaz » 27 May 2020, 11:39

That all sounds really sensible Ria xx
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 27 May 2020, 13:28

It might just be me but if those are the sorts of measures needed to make malls 'safe to use' then I will be avoiding them even more than I have ever done. The same goes for public transport. I am all for opening up, as best we can, but for many of us it will still be the case of where, when and at what time. Crowded places will be off limits for quite a while.

On the 6th of March I topped up the car with £39 of fuel and yesterday I did it again to the tune of £17! That's how 'out and about' I have been for the past twelve weeks.

However, I am lucky in that the gateway to the Dales is just a few miles up the road and there are plenty of off-road parking places to stop and go now the new rules have kicked in. A day bag with sarnies and a few drinks are all that are needed during this decent spell of weather.
Workingman

Postby JoM » 27 May 2020, 13:33

Frank, me and John were just talking about the car. He last filled up on March 9th and paid £44.78 (I’ve only just checked the account to see exactly when) and he’s got just under a quarter of a tank left.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby TheOstrich » 27 May 2020, 14:08

Workingman wrote:It might just be me but if those are the sorts of measures needed to make malls 'safe to use' then I will be avoiding them even more than I have ever done. The same goes for public transport. I am all for opening up, as best we can, but for many of us it will still be the case of where, when and at what time. Crowded places will be off limits for quite a while.

Not just you - that will be our stance as well. We'll not be tripping outside the town boundary for some time, I think, and we won't be renewing our Senior Railcards for the forseeable.

As for fuel for our little runaround, I topped the tank up to bung the week before lockdown started; the fuel gauge hasn't fallen back to the 3/4 mark yet. I would doubt we've done much more than 30-40 miles in 2 months ....
TheOstrich

Postby Workingman » 27 May 2020, 14:32

Talking of accounts .... I just had a good look at mine and I reckon to have been spending at least £100 a week less than before this all started.

Goodness knows what rubbish I was buying before but I have not bought any clothing, a bottle of spirits last the week, and then there is fuel ... I never realised how easy it is to get through a fiver or more on bits and pieces when you are out and about, but with lockdown I just go out for walks with a bottle of tap water for company. 8-)
Workingman

Postby Gal2 » 27 May 2020, 18:25

Workingman wrote:It might just be me but if those are the sorts of measures needed to make malls 'safe to use' then I will be avoiding them even more than I have ever done. The same goes for public transport. I am all for opening up, as best we can, but for many of us it will still be the case of where, when and at what time. Crowded places will be off limits for quite a while.

Not just you WM,, I can't envisage wanting to shop so much as to undertake such measures. Apparently Matalan has reopened (I browse in there quite a lot) and D made a comment that I'd be twitching now to go....I haven't the tiniest of desires to go anywhere near the place. Not for a good long while at least.
Gal2
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe