Telephone Manners

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Telephone Manners

Postby Fugitive » 26 Nov 2012, 17:45

I've noticed lately when I phone up to book a restaurant table for a meal I get a lot of 'No problem' scattered through the conversation and I want to say things like 'Why should it be a problem' and 'I don't have a problem' so it was a treat to phone a local place new to us to book a table and she didn't say 'No problem' at all!

Even when I asked a question I got a proper answer and half expected a 'No problem' and didn't get one either.

I think first impressions really count so if the service is as good as the reception it should be a lovely evening :!:
Fugitive

Re: Telephone Manners

Postby Kaz » 26 Nov 2012, 18:46

Hope you have a lovely time! :D I can't say it bothers me so much what people say, as long as they say it politely................You could say it's no problem :P ;) :lol:
Kaz

Postby JoM » 26 Nov 2012, 20:40

That doesn't bother me as much as when I call anywhere and get someone who answers everything to make it sound like they're asking a question :x

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Workingman » 26 Nov 2012, 20:58

"No problem" is no problem as such, it's the monosyllabic "Uh", "Eh", "Yeh", "Nah" that winds me up. :evil:
Workingman

Postby Fugitive » 27 Nov 2012, 09:44

I did sound grumpy in my original post but it was meant for table bookings rather than generally because usually I have to repeat back the date and time of the booking to make sure its right but this lady confirmed it all back to me so no doubt in my head once I'd rung off in case it wasn't right. Worse thing is turning up for a table and find your booking is wrong. It does happen :(
Fugitive

Postby Weka » 27 Nov 2012, 19:57

JoM wrote:That doesn't bother me as much as when I call anywhere and get someone who answers everything to make it sound like they're asking a question :x

On behalf of all kiwis I would like to apologise for this, it seems to be tied up in our accent. I never noticed it till my workmates in Sydney pointed it out. It took months of practise to get rid of it, now I hear it all the time. Since returning to nz, no doubt I have picked it up again, but I try really hard not to.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Return to Cafe