Pharmacy new rules

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Pharmacy new rules

Postby saundra » 31 Jan 2024, 12:24

From today you can,go to your pharmacy for 7 medical conditions that they can give you antibiotics if needed and advice
Will it work iv,no idea ??
A good idea in theory
saundra

Re: Pharmacy new rules

Postby saundra » 31 Jan 2024, 12:47

saundra wrote:From today you can,go to your pharmacy for 7 medical conditions that they can give you antibiotics if needed and advice
Will it work iv,no idea ??
A good idea in theory

Including Sinus Uti earache
saundra

Postby Osc » 31 Jan 2024, 13:02

I think that’s a great idea. I must say, our local chemist would always be my first port of call for “small” stuff and people should do that more anyway instead of clogging up doctors’ waiting rooms.
Osc

Postby meriad » 31 Jan 2024, 13:15

In South Africa it's always been standard that a pharmacist can prescribe and it works really well so no reason why it shouldn't here. People may need to wait a bit for the prescription to be filled but that's it
meriad

Postby Workingman » 31 Jan 2024, 15:04

There are three Chemists, as we used to call them, all attached to Dr surgeries near me - I could use any. They are from two different chains and the one attached to the surgery I am registered with I would not go in for a plaster. For me standards are all over the place.

As for antibiotics, they are only useful in very exceptional circumstances for three out of the seven conditions mentioned (sinusitis, impetigo and shingles) and according to the NHS then only as a last resort. I hope 'pharmacists' will not be giving them out like Smarties.

However, most of us do not need to see a chemist never mind a GP for any of the seven conditions when we can treat them at home with what we have in the kitchen or bathroom cupboards.
Workingman

Postby TheOstrich » 31 Jan 2024, 15:37

TBH, I can't see this working at all.

The pharmacists around here are rushed off their feet just doling out the repeat prescriptions; when are they going to have time to offer face-to-face consultations? Or will it be a pharmacy assistant doing it?
Will it be walk-in or will it be by appointment? (for example, pharmacy-issued jabs here are by appointment only)
Will there be any consultation at all? "You say you've got shingles? Here's the Zorax or whatever. Next!"
And all this is assuming there IS a pharmacist on hand, and the stores often have a prolonged shutdown. Many round here are part-time or locum - just like the GPs.

Sorry to be cynical, but to me, it's just an extension of the existing NHS Surgery mess. In the past, I've had nearly as much trouble with the pharmacy messing up my repeat meds as with the surgery ....... :roll:
TheOstrich

Postby saundra » 31 Jan 2024, 15:53

Yes I agree ossie my pharmacy is mega busy and rushed of there feet just seen a report that diabetic can't be seen in case the antibiotics are not suitable for them so that's me out yet I know the right antibiotics I need for my uti
When it occurs I expect it would be useful if you where on holiday because the said pharmacy would have access to your medical reccords. Time will tell
saundra

Postby Kaz » 31 Jan 2024, 18:13

On the surface it seems like an excellent idea - how it will actually pan out remains to be seen.
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 31 Jan 2024, 19:16

Why are people going to a doctor or a pharmacist with an earache, sore throat, insect bites / stings and many other things? Honestly?

In days gone by my 3 yr-old niece tripped on the kitchen mat, fell over and bumped her head on a cupboard. Big bump on her forehead. Panic! Mum wrapped her up and took her to A&E. I was left with my nephew.

I mean, she obviously fractured her skull and was about to die. Or not. She was sent home with 'instructions'.

My mum would have given me a wet flannel soaked in cold water and told me to get on with life.
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 31 Jan 2024, 20:32

The one that I think is a brilliant choice is UTI's My friend was really poorly last week. It started on Friday, she got a GP appointment for Monday but had to suffer all weekend. It's great that a pharmacy can prescribe now.

I think there are pitfalls but hopefully it might help a little
miasmum

Next

Return to Cafe