No dogs allowed

A place to chat with friends, old and new

No dogs allowed

Postby cromwell » 05 Feb 2024, 12:20

There's a pub in the village that has just been refurbished. It is a Sam Smith's brewery pub and the rules are, no phones, no kids, no dogs.

But some of the locals have other ideas...

Can't link to the fb page, but one of the locals got dressed up in a dog onesie and came into the pb on all fours, asking for a bowl of water and curling up next to the fire! :Hi:
Last edited by cromwell on 05 Feb 2024, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Re: No dogs allowed

Postby meriad » 05 Feb 2024, 12:32

Can't access the link Crommers - it's your local village site and you have to register for it
meriad

Postby jenniren » 05 Feb 2024, 12:47

Gosh no phones, no kids, no dogs does sound a bit draconian. Wonder if they will lose a lot of business.
jenniren

Postby Kaz » 05 Feb 2024, 15:37

Very few pubs these days, or cafes come to that, where you can't take well behaved dogs.
Kaz

Postby cromwell » 05 Feb 2024, 16:04

Possible loss of trade has been much discussed on fb, Jen.
Sam Smith's is a private firm run by an unusual man called Humphrey Smith. The rules are his idea.
How you can ban phones in a pub I really don't know; they are part of modern life, like it or not.
I can see the ban on children though; I still remember how shocked I was years ago seeing a child asleep on a chair at a pub when she should have been at home in bed asleep.
You are right about the dogs Kaz; mind you some of the dogs round here aren't very well behaved!
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby cruiser2 » 05 Feb 2024, 16:13

At the cafe I goto in Chorley there is usualy someone with a dog. They are various sizes and breeds. Some are really pampered
having little trolleys if they get tired walking. They are all well behaved.
The dogs are sometimes given a little bowl of water while their owners are having a drink of tea or coffee.

Can't say what happens in pubs. Long time since I went in one.
cruiser2

Postby jenniren » 05 Feb 2024, 18:29

The Royal Pavilion, our big Weatherspoons, down on the seafront doesn't allow dogs and it definitely hasn't hurt their trade. There were a lot of rumblings on the local Fb page when it first opened, but there are plenty of bars down there that do so no harm done.
jenniren

Postby Workingman » 05 Feb 2024, 19:07

cromwell wrote:There's a pub in the village that has just been refurbished. It is a Sam Smith's brewery pub and the rules are, no phones, no kids, no dogs.

But some of the locals have other ideas...

Can't link to the fb page, but one of the locals got dressed up in a dog onesie and came into the pb on all fours, asking for a bowl of water and curling up next to the fire! :Hi:

:P :P :P

The local has a separate "restaurant" which is mainly fast food and also a couple of soft play areas. These are the only places children are allowed. Dogs are allowed in the rest of the pub if on leads and people with phones are "politely requested" to put them in silent or airplane mode or go outside to use them. It all works quite well - even the phone rule.
Workingman

Postby TheOstrich » 05 Feb 2024, 21:29

We have sort of gone the other way, here! :lol:

https://coffeeandcanines.co.uk/

I cannot help thinking there's an element of Photoshop on the pic, as Gillingham High Street hasn't been that busy since the 1920's .... :mrgreen:

https://coffeeandcanines.co.uk/pages/about-us

I don't know how it's doing but I think it's doing OK. It's not the sort of place Mrs O and I would frequent as TBH we're not all that keen on dogs in an eatery setting, and it's the wrong end of town for us. Anyway, good luck to her.
TheOstrich

Postby Suff » 05 Feb 2024, 23:16

I can't see this kind of thing catching on. It is the attitude of someone who doesn't want technology and expects the custom to spend their entire time downing the product and not relaxing. A very old attitude to a pub.

Sometimes on a Sunday afternoon I'll stop off at a pub I know and have a pint. Never more as I'm always driving. I'm alone and know nobody in the pub. So I take my phone and spend my time reading, news surfing or talking to people such as yourselves. Occasionally I'll talk to other customers but most of them are in groups and only interested in their own company.

So no phone, no beer. I wouldn't think of making a call sitting inside the pub and if I received a call I would take it oustide.

Our Lakeland is a total pain with other dogs and is more the type who thinks her humans need better training to let her do what she wants. So she almost never gets out for a visit to the local French bars where dogs are regular visitors.

If more pubs were to go this route it might be better for me. My beer would become a coffee somewhere. Maybe even McDonals as I perfer their Late's to most "coffee" shops. They look at me very oddly in Costa when they ask me if I want a second shot with my massimo. "No I'm trying to drown your awful coffee out with the milk" I say. Needless to say I don't go to Costa when I'm not with Mrs S.

In 25 years or so all the people who didn't grow up in a world without mobile phones and other technology will be starting to die out and go away. Leaving the "technology age" to get on with it.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to Cafe