Phones moving to digital

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Phones moving to digital

Postby meriad » 06 Feb 2024, 15:50

Frank (at least I think it was you) mentioned this a while back already and today I received an email from BT who supply my landline and broadband, informing me that they are looking to move me over fto digital and that they will be in touch with me once they have a date for the switchover.

But what happens to people like my neighbour Trish, who has no internet; she relies on her regular landline and only when it's needed does she still uses a regular brick type old Nokia phone as a mobile; tops it up as and when needed. Surely people like her cannot be forced to enter into a broadband contract that's going to most likely cost them more money than they currently spend on a landline?

Apparently I can keep my old phone though - wasn't expecting that ;)
meriad

Re: Phones moving to digital

Postby saundra » 06 Feb 2024, 16:15

Ria I had to go digital with by last month complete balls up I was at the end of my contract so I got an offer of a reduced monthly fee well it hassent happened I could keep my landline and number and an enginer is supposed to be comming to sort it that hassent happen either because I need my life line like connected
I live in hope good luck
saundra

Postby meriad » 06 Feb 2024, 16:24

Yes, that's another thing - some healthcare alarms and security alarms won't work with the new system? that's just a bit risky isn't it?
meriad

Postby saundra » 06 Feb 2024, 16:56

Just been on to be by live text thingy for to ring 1800 800150 just passed from pillar to post will do it tomorrow
All to technical for me
saundra

Postby Workingman » 06 Feb 2024, 17:38

In practical terms this does not happen till December 2025. Customers will still be able to have landline-only phones though they will probably need a DSL filter between the wall socket and the phone - possibly a new digital phone depending on the age of the old phone. Those who already have broadband will need to plug a phone into their router using a new cable, as happened with me, because there is no analogue signal. That's the theory.

However, as Openreach (the backbone provider) changes an area to full fibre it will mean new phones and routers all-round and new service sockets installed in homes in the same way as a customer migrating to full fibre has to do. You will still be able to be landline-only.

I am thinking that those with a healthcare or security alarms will at some stage need new cabling and software upgrades.

Which? has an article here, or Ofcom here.
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 06 Feb 2024, 19:32

Ria, Trish is going to have to get a newer mobile phone. The old Nokia will be 2G / 3G and those networks are gradually being switched off as from last year. When it happens will depend upon where you live so making and receiving calls will become a problem. She would be better off with a 4G LTE phone

See my PM.
Workingman

Postby JanB » 06 Feb 2024, 19:53

Why should people buy a new phone??

Workingman wrote:is going to have to get a newer mobile phone

My 10 year old phone works, it receives phone calls and texts. That's what a phone is for.
JanB

Postby Workingman » 06 Feb 2024, 20:33

JanB wrote:Why should people buy a new phone??

Jan, it's because the systems currently used for mobile phone transmission are closing down. In the near future older phones simply will not transmit or receive. You will still be able to play games and music installed on them but although Jacinta is in your phone contacts you will not be able to ring her up and have a chat. Douggie will not get your texts nor you, his.

The technology is moving on, that's why. It will also happen in Portugal because the interconnected networks are global.
Workingman

Postby cruiser2 » 07 Feb 2024, 10:01

I am with Virgin.I have a landline and a mobile. I have written to Virgin asking what will happen.
Got a long letter with a lot of twaddle. Just one small sentence which mentioned a report. have asked how do a geta copy of that
report but no answer.

There have been several articls in DM about problems with people of all ages especially pensioners who have had major problems.
Even BT engineers don't seem to know what to do.

It may work in theory but not in practice. Come back Graham Bell
cruiser2

Postby Workingman » 07 Feb 2024, 11:45

What a coincidence! I have woken to an email from Vodafone informing me that the area will be switched to full fibre by the end of February and to arrange for a techy to fit a new fibre socket and router instead of the old DSL ones. I expected this due to what happened a few weeks back.

Cruiser, as you are with Virgin it is likely that you are already on fibre so there should be little change for you.
Workingman

Next

Return to Cafe