ASDA: robbing bar stewards!

A place to chat with friends, old and new

ASDA: robbing bar stewards!

Postby Workingman » 11 Feb 2024, 14:44

Because of the special diet I am on I have to get lactose free milk.

Last week it was £1.09 for 1ltr of semi-skimmed. Today the price on the shelf was 99p with a Lidl and Aldi price match tag.

When I got to the self-service till the price came up as £1.85 each so I cancelled. I then took the two cartons to customer services and asked for them to sell them to me at the price on the shelf. "Oh sorry, I can't do that."

So, I have made a complaint as there was no manager or supervisor available to deal with it. I have given them a time when I will visit tomorrow when I expect a manager to deal with me.

Anybody who is in a rush or doing a big shop or at a manned till might not have noticed and been cheated out of £1.72
Workingman

Re: ASDA: robbing bar stewards!

Postby cruiser2 » 11 Feb 2024, 16:01

One of the two brothers who "own" Asda have to pay for the big housethey are building on the outskirts of Backurn.
But it is an example of what supermarkets do. I check the unit price. The same product in different sizd containers does vary.
I always get the cheapest. It is usually bigger so lasts me longer.

I onlygoto the suermarket when the manned tills sre open. I was direceted to a self service till. But an employee had to put every item though
as I kept getting ann error message. She didn't like doing it as I was holding up other customers.
cruiser2

Postby meriad » 12 Feb 2024, 12:31

That's a darn cheek Frank - they are legally obliged to sell at the advertised price.

I always use the scan as you shop option because that way I can check every item as I put it into the trolley; and it's easy to remove something if needed.
Cruiser, same as you, I usually compare the unit price of items I'm buying and it is amazing just how big the price difference can be for different sizes.
meriad

Postby Workingman » 12 Feb 2024, 13:29

meriad wrote:That's a darn cheek Frank - they are legally obliged to sell at the advertised price.

Not sure about that Ria. When we had the shop the price on the tag was known as "the offer". We could sell it for more if we could find a mug willing to pay or we could sell it for less. The sale only became legally binding once the deal was done.

I also check unit prices but I am surprised at the number of people who can't or don't.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 12 Feb 2024, 17:40

Unfortunately they are not legally obliged, but it is a damned cheek!
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 12 Feb 2024, 18:07

UPDATE: I went in to see what had been done and surprise, surprise, the prices on the shelves and at the tills now match. Still could not get a reduction even though I had the receipt because the deal had been done.

A lesson learned.
Workingman

Return to Cafe