Pothole damage to my car! BIG UPDATE.

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Re: Pothole damage to my car! BIG UPDATE.

Postby miasmum » 15 Mar 2024, 00:29

Workingman wrote:Shell, potholes do not differentiate between manual and automatic... just saying.

Do they not??? :lol:
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 15 Mar 2024, 00:40

No. If you are in an automatic zero-emissions EV you are exempt.... until you hit one ;)

They are out there... to get all of us. :shock:
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 15 Mar 2024, 08:47

Have you noticed how they gather around speed humps?
miasmum

Postby meriad » 15 Mar 2024, 08:51

Yay Frank - that's excellent news
I think my next car would be an automatic as well - most of my driving is town / city driving and the constant stop start because of ever increasing traffic jams gets on my nerves; so automatic would be a blessing for that.

A big advantage a manual has over an automatic when it comes to potholes (and any other incident really - and depending on the damage of course), is that they can be pushed out the way (if I understand it right - and am open to correction)

but either way Frank - congrats on the new wheels and wishing you many happy and safe driving miles x
meriad

Postby Workingman » 15 Mar 2024, 19:09

Ria, they can all be pushed if the driven wheels can be decoupled from the drive train. Even manual cars can get stuck in gear and no amount of rocking back and forth releases them. Sometimes it might need an engine start to get neutral.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 16 Mar 2024, 23:05

Well that's a relief WM. When I hired last it was a Fiat 500 Sport. That was bigger and much more powerful. I did my usual to see how it would go (always useful to know), it was still going at 110 which I decided was all I needed to know and pushed it back down to 70.

It had active cruise and lane keeping. If you switched lane keeping on it would bounce off the white lines like a drunk. Then resist changing lane unless you pressed the indicator. I turned it off in the end, too much of a pain.

When I hired in Canada I got a Ford Edge. It had 5 different zones on the console and in the smallest right one I counted about 20 functions including the traction control and 4wd control.

Good luck with the new car. Sounds like it will be a good one.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Previous

Return to Cafe