Ferry to Jersey

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Ferry to Jersey

Postby miasmum » 19 Mar 2024, 13:58

anyone travelled on it?

I am looking for somewhere to go for our Ruby Wedding and my friend recommended Jersey, but the ferry crossing is 4hrs 40 mins. I dont want to fly though, would like to take the car

Just a bit worried about being stuck on a ferry for that long.
miasmum

Re: Ferry to Jersey

Postby Workingman » 19 Mar 2024, 14:53

Shell, for you to go by car and ferry it would be about a 9hr journey each way - and not cheap, petrol then ~ £400+ for the ferry.

Personally, I would bite the bullet and fly from Brum or Luton in just over an hour for about £35 return, then get a hire car once there. Mind you, it might be cheaper to use taxis for trips out. Nowhere is much more than six miles away from St Helier.

It's decades since I was there but I don't think much will have substantially changed apart from restaurant / cafe prices. :roll: :shock:
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 19 Mar 2024, 15:46

Its 4hours 40 mins on the ferry and I've just realised only 3 hours to guernsey

I couldn't find anything that cheap when I looked at flying and hiring a car was about £300 for the week
miasmum

Postby saundra » 19 Mar 2024, 15:50

Jersey is lovely we went by coach from hull on a organised holiday it was years ago then the ferry can't remember where' from tho
Stayed in a lovely hotel lots of trips to,different places bit the bullet and fly MM
saundra

Postby miasmum » 19 Mar 2024, 16:35

Why does everyone want me to fly?

I just want to do what I always do. Pack my case with all but the kitchen sink, without worrying about limits and excess fees. Chuck it in the back of the car. Fill the back seat with coats, walking gear, foodie treats, get in the car and go.

I dont want to be sitting at an airport an hour before, wondering if they'll be delays, or worse still cancellations.

Hoping my hire car has been arranged, and that its not too big or too small. Having to find a supermarket before we arrive to buy essentials.

Flying just sounds a PITA

I just want to know how big is the ferry, can I wander around, and can I avoid anyone looking green round the gills
miasmum

Postby saundra » 19 Mar 2024, 16:56

Just thought it was quicker and easier to fly
Ferrys are fine you can avoid people by staying in your cabin
saundra

Postby Workingman » 19 Mar 2024, 17:25

miasmum wrote:Why does everyone want me to fly?

You said you were worried about the ferry so some of us offered alternatives. My nine hours included the drive down to Poole and the hour or more boarding time for the ferry, which can also be cancelled or delayed. I did say that car hire was dear that's why I mentioned taxis.

I have travelled on enough ferries to know that there are no guarantees about avoiding those who are green around the gills - or all over - even in calm seas! :lol:

This could be your ferry.

BTW: I just googled 'Flights to Jersey from Birmingham or Luton' for prices.
Workingman

Postby meriad » 19 Mar 2024, 17:58

was just about to post the same link as Frank - by the looks of it you can walk around and do shopping etc; and if anything like the Calais / Dover ferry you can actually pack your own food and eat that
meriad

Postby miasmum » 19 Mar 2024, 18:01

Thats the ferry I found Frank thank you

A few people have suggested a cabin but I cant find that as an option

Found it now its on the Portsmouth to Jersey ferry, the one that takes 9 hours

Cabins are available but at the cost of an additional £300
miasmum

Postby Suff » 21 Mar 2024, 06:18

Hi Shell,

I worked on Jersey for a year and I took the ferry from France half the time and flights the other half the time. In the end I wound up taking the ferry with my bike and cycling into work because work was a 2.5 minute cycle from the port.

I have a question. Are you going to a hotel? If you are going to a hotel you would need to make sure they have parking, I tried having my car there for the first month and gave up as it sat in the car park and cost me a small fortune to keep it there. If you are going to cottage let or something like that then parking won't be an issue.

Locals to Jersey have vehicles but people arriving with them are really not encouraged. For instance if you want to bring a caravan you have to have a site booked before hand.

The Condor Ferries is a Sea Cat. High speed catamaran but it is not huge like the HSS which go between Europe and the UK. It is a reasonable size and you can wander around a bit, but it is nothing like the size of a cross channel ferry.

https://www.condorferries.co.uk/remote.axd/condorlivemedia.azureedge.net/media/3025/liberation-map.png

The first time I went over was from Poole. The journey was fine but then I don't get sea sick I'm not claustrophobic and I don't get bothered by sick people around me. So I'm probably not the best judge as to the comfort levels.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Next

Return to Cafe