Cashier or self-checkout?

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Re: Cashier or self-checkout?

Postby TheOstrich » 01 May 2024, 14:53

Osc wrote:We have our big shop delivered, started during Covid and never went back to physically doing the big shop. So anything we get now is usually a small amount and we’d mostly use a self service till.

We did have a spell of getting our shopping delivered from Asda when we were living and working in Birmingham, Osc, but we had to spend at least £100 to get free delivery, which meant we were sometimes buying unnecessary items (wine! :lol: ), and at the end of the day, we reckoned it was less time-consuming to get in car and go do it manually than put up with all the out-of-stock and amended orders.
TheOstrich

Postby meriad » 01 May 2024, 16:27

TheOstrich wrote:
meriad wrote:Ossie; I am going to have to ask; if you managed to spend £2k at Waitrose in one year, then I assume the shop is actually quite convenient for you, and/or you really liked the products - so who are you 'punishing ;) ? Waitrose (and most other shops) probably won't notice - and dare I say - actually not care that you're not shopping there as much. But are you missing out on your favourite items / treats because you're miffed at them?

When we moved down here in 2016, Meriad, Waitrose was by far the biggest player in town. Very convenient, just off the town centre bypass, excellent parking. The other major supermarket, the Co-Op, burnt down in 2012 and is still an empty shell :shock: ; they relocated to one of the town suburbs where its little more than a convenience store these days. Asda and Lidl have small stores in the town centre with car parks operated by parkingeye, and both are subject to many moans from locals getting fined when they shouldn't be (even to the extent Asda has displayed a prominent notice along the lines of "We can't deal with parking fines in store so go complain to the operator". :lol: And trying to get out of Asda's carpark can be horrendous these days, thanks to the Council's recently-implemented one way system. :roll:

So when we arrived, having been used to shopping in Brum at what was arguably England's biggest supermarket outlet (Asda Minworth, only a mile from home), doing all our shopping at Waitrose became the norm. But we were paying nearly £5k a year for food, household essentials and treats, and I was starting to get uncomfortable with that - yes, we could "afford" it but like everyone else, we do have to manage our finances carefully.

Then around 2021, Aldi arrived on the southern outskirts of town, and that immediately became a game-changer. We transferred the bulk of our basic weekly shop there, and saved I reckon around £800 a year. So from then, we've been roughly 50% Aldi 50% Waitrose. But we were still aware we were paying over-the-odds Waitrose prices for brand goods which were not on sale at Aldi (although they are now doing Tunnocks Teacakes :mrgreen: ) but which we could source from elsewhere if I (the "household shopper" 8-) made the effort!!

What the incident in December did was kick-start me into getting off my backside and make that effort to shop at Asda, Iceland, even the local Spar and town High Street shops, who probably welcome the custom more than Waitrose. To stop myself getting "lazy" again, I set that financial target of reducing our annual spend at Waitrose by £1k. And that's where we are today! :D

So, is it less convenient? Yes, but it keeps me active!
Do I really like Waitrose's products? There are some items you can't source elsewhere in town, like 55p tins of Pease Pudding, but most of our "liked" brand products I find I can get elsewhere.
Will Waitrose notice/care? :lol: Course they won't, I'm but a flea to them - but I can see quite a lot of fleas have readily deserted them for Aldi - that's the trend, you only have to look at the well-to-do pensioners furtively scurrying into that store. Waitrose certainly isn't as busy as it was, and I guess therefore Waitrose may eventually begin to notice/care to some small degree.
Are we missing out on favourite items / treats? No, as I've said, we're buying them elsewhere for less, and with the money saved, we've been having some nice meals out, including a lunch last week at the local up-market motorcycle cafe where scampi and chips (Mrs O) and a beef chilli and chips (Osiie) were partaken for quite a reasonable £35.90 ...... :lol:

great reply Ossie, and you are right - if you are able to shop around then it really is worth it. And that saving is huge! well done :Hi: :Hi:
meriad

Postby Suff » 01 May 2024, 21:20

TheOstrich wrote:cafe where scampi and chips (Mrs O) and a beef chilli and chips (Osiie) were partaken for quite a reasonable £35.90 ...... :lol:

Whilst we can achieve this at home, there are many places which do a 4 course lunch during the week for €15 each or less. With water, an aperitif and a glass of wine.

Clearly my view of reasonable is infected with country French prices... :P :P

I think if they called me a shoplifter and video'd me I'd be researching hacking services for hire to trash their IT systems..... Not that I'm vengeful or anything.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby cruiser2 » 02 May 2024, 21:01

I used togo to Tesco. But now I am going to Lid who have built a store much closer.

This only hasmanned tills. They willopenanother one if ther are several customers waiting. They have most of the things I want whichare cheaper and as good asTesco.

I get my petrolfrom Tesco so go to the store after. I only use the maned check out. One of the staff tried to make me use the self service tills. But in the end, she
had to scan every item. It included veg and fruit and I had my basket on the wrong side. She was not happy.

I have used Booths in Chorley. This is the northern equivelentof Waitrose. Again I use the manned tills. I sometimes just go in to use the toilets which are
in the big entrance area.
Have bought a couple of tops from George at Asda. But it can be a nightmare getting on and off as it is near a retail park
cruiser2

Previous

Return to Cafe