Anyone know about renting rules?

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Re: Anyone know about renting rules?

Postby Workingman » 05 May 2024, 15:36

A bit of a tale.

The previous tenants in my flat were two young lads. They got an eviction notice due to the noise. The couple down below were the daughter and SiL of the flat's owners and it was they who took the court action.

So, as they left the lads decided to have a fire in the middle of the lounge by way of protest. Fortunately the fire service managed to put it out before any structural damage was done, but it needed a whole flat decoration before it was re-let due to the smoke.

I had two interviews before I could move in, one with the letting agents and one with the landlord. I promised to be a saint, halo and all, and I have been. However, there are many undesirable tenants, as well as landlords. See C5's Nightmare Tenants, Slum Landlords for details.
Workingman

Postby saundra » 05 May 2024, 16:22

As far as I know she did ask him to cut the tree down ,that's all I know but he didn't cut the tree down and I expect she took the shed with her good job actually it spured her on to buy her own place
saundra

Postby Suff » 06 May 2024, 20:19

Significant government rules have been put in place now and renting is nothing like as easy as it used to be.

Problems like if you buy a house and it meets building codes, then 10 years later decide to rent it, it has to meet current codes, you have to do the work. Then whilst you are renting, if the codes change again, they force you to meet current code between rents.

Yes I know plenty don't do it but they face severe fines if caught.

Then there are disincentives to short term lets which is driving up the price of AirBnB and others.

In Scotland the minimum let for a furnished apartment is 6 months and if you need less than that you have to go to an effective holiday let.

Prices are changing dramatically at the moment and any rental is going to be hard. Then I fell into the prior rent situation. We own our properties so how can I have a rental record. I did get an agreement from one agency by saying I would pay 6 months up front but then they demanded I pay 6 months up front every 6 months. So I told them to take a hike.

I wound up in the ridiculous situation I was paying £1,300 per month for an AirBnB for 6 months because nobody would rent me a flat for £500 a month.

The fact that I'm now fully remote and intend to remain fully remote is why I bought the van. I have Starlink and so long as I have power and water (the gas is bottled and behind the van), I'm set.

It's difficult and they are lucky to have a friend like you around WM. Good luck with the search.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Previous

Return to Cafe