Shots and plastic

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Shots and plastic

Postby miasmum » 06 May 2024, 10:17

I have been musing about something. My Luke can no longer have a plastic straw. He has to have a metal one which he hates or a paper one which he struggles with. But he has to save the planet At a party on Saturday I watched tray after tray of shots being bought. All served in tiny little plastic pots. Do they wash all those little pots, or are they, as I presume, thrown away? Once upon a time, shots were only bought at the end of the night, now they are drunk constantly. The most pointless stupid idea ever in my opinion. I watched the younger girls at work drinking them, swig them back, pull a face because they taste horrible, then slung your drink to take the taste away. Pointless. I was bought one, I refused it, Melissa said I dont like them either, I'll do it with you, I still said no.
miasmum

Re: Shots and plastic

Postby Kaz » 06 May 2024, 10:23

I don’t like shots either, for me it’s a dry white wine or not bother. I used to like a vodka and cranberry juice occasionally but not had one for ages.

The plastic straw rules is a silly, knee-jerk regulation which is a drop in the ocean, compared to the amount of plastic packaging used. I have noticed that since Covid the fruit and veg has a lot of packaging - that had been improving beforehand :? I’m sorry it’s affecting Luke :(
Kaz

Postby Osc » 06 May 2024, 11:34

Shell, could you get some silicone straws? I bought some ages ago and use them for Kellie, they can be put in the dishwasher.
Osc

Postby Workingman » 06 May 2024, 11:36

Shell, can you not buy Luke a reusable plastic straw that he or you or a carer can take with him when on trips out?

When it comes to shots they are about two thirds of a single measure of spirits (gin. vodka, whisky etc) served in a glass tumbler. However, as they are trendy, same as alcopops were, you can bet your house on them being much much more expensive ml for ml.

My local has small recycle bins behind the bar for such things as shot pots - they generally are plastic - bottle tops and glass bottles.
Workingman

Postby JoM » 06 May 2024, 13:26

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby miasmum » 06 May 2024, 23:27

Thank you all for the suggestions. He does have a few of those drinking bottles with a built in straw, but I will pass on the links and the suggestions

I hope most pubs and clubs have recycle bins for the shot pots then
miasmum

Return to Cafe