The Random Thread

A place to chat with friends, old and new

Re: The Random Thread

Postby AliasAggers » 02 May 2017, 19:55

miasmum wrote:I haven't watched snooker for year, but watched the final frame after it looked so exciting on the news. I don't know either of them, but they both seemed nice chaps.

We've watched a lot of the championship snooker this year, and really enjoyed it.
Some of the matches were absolutely marvellous.
There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.
AliasAggers

Postby Osc » 02 May 2017, 23:00

We hadn't been watching too much in recent years either, but really enjoyed it - I decided early on that I wanted Mark Selby to win, and he won it so very well.
Osc

Postby JoM » 03 May 2017, 14:40

Cover your ears, I'm having a scream!

Joe saw a consultant up at Stoke a month ago. We've had a letter asking that he has a blood test repeated and she, the consultant, gave a number to call to arrange that. I've spent four hours calling on and off today before the phone was answered, and when I finally spoke to someone it was the wrong number, I needed a different department.
I was put through to that department and was told that because his appointment had been at Stoke then the repeat blood test would need to be done there, because "that's how the system works". It can take up to an hour to get from here to Stoke, longer...much longer....by public transport, plus waiting time for a three minute blood test. Then up to an hour back home.

I eventually argued them down to arranging it at Stafford, or at least trying to. But as I don't have any of the blood forms signed by the doctor then that's going to cause a problem. They're going to get back to me, the nurse is seeing if a different doctor, Joe's usual consultant, will sign a form.

Surely "the system" covers both hospitals, or should do? They both fall under the name of University Hospitals of North Midlands. The phone system certainly does as the person I was talking to at Stoke transferred me through to Stafford.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby Kaz » 03 May 2017, 15:07

Oh ggrrrh Jo, how silly! :evil:
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 03 May 2017, 15:12

FCOL Jo, it's a sodding blood test.

It should be able to be done anywhere by any competent taker of blood, even the local GP surgery, then the results sent on via the internal system to the correct consultant. The tests are all probably done in the same lab for both hospitals anyway.

Get involved with the PALS system and get them on the case.
Workingman

Postby saundra » 03 May 2017, 15:45

Our blood tests are a complete farce you have it done at the des then it's sent to Scarborough hospital so has to be done before 12_30
But not on a Friday because labs don't test at a weekend good luck jo I can scream with you at the moment
saundra

Postby miasmum » 03 May 2017, 17:49

Thats fair enough Saundra, the blood has to get to the hospital in time for it to be tested. At our practices it has to be done by 10.30, if you want it doing later you have to go the hospital and have it done.

Sorry to hear that Jo, what a nightmare
miasmum

Postby JoM » 03 May 2017, 17:49

Frank, let's not be bringing the surgery into this as well :lol: Like with Saundra's doctors, they have to be done first thing for collection and when the GP wanted Joe to have one last year the conversation went something very like this:

Me: Hi, can I book my son in for a blood test please?
Receptionist: Yes, we have 3.30pm on Monday
Me: That's fine
Receptionist: Sorry, we don't do blood tests that late, the transport comes at 11.
Me: Okay, when have you got?
Receptionist: I can get him in at 3.30 on Monday.
Me: But you said that you don't do blood tests that late.
Receptionist: We don't.
Me: So why have you offered me that time?
Receptionist: That's all we have.

I kid you not :lol:

PALS was going to be my next port of call as past experience proves that they're brilliant but we're sorted. A consultant has signed the forms and I'm meeting Joe in Stafford after college tomorrow and we'll pop along to the hospital. Of course, as it's college kicking out time I'll be walking on the other side of the road to him and communicating only by text :P

It used to be so easy. If the GPs couldn't do it then you could just go along to Cannock hospital (which is just a short walk away) and take a ticket and wait but now, since the problems with Stafford, Cannock is now part of the Royal Wolverhampton group whereas before it was grouped with Stafford.

And The Charlatans and Johnny Marr one week later
JoM

Postby saundra » 03 May 2017, 18:19

saundra wrote:Our blood tests are a complete farce you have it done at the des then it's sent to Scarborough hospital so has to be done before 12_30
But not on a Friday because labs don't test at a weekend good luck jo I can scream with you at the moment

What annoys me is we have a hospital 5minutes away but they don't do bloods and the a/e there which is always half staffed only have a nurse practitioner ggrr
saundra

Postby Workingman » 03 May 2017, 18:25

I remember when we had a national health service where any hospital treated anyone. This was before the "postcode" Trusts with them all competing with each other for patients, doctors, nurses, ambulances and services.

So much for progress.
Workingman

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe