Sunsreen, the latest scare.

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Sunsreen, the latest scare.

Postby Workingman » 21 Jun 2024, 19:51

Lather yourself in the stuff and you will be fine... so long as it's the right stuff - expensive is not the best.

Which? says so. Forget the brands just go with the claims.

Dad was a sailor and had the best idea, 10 mins in the sun, 15 mins out. Repeat day after day. Plenty of suntan lotion. After a few days you were invincible.
Workingman

Re: Sunsreen, the latest scare.

Postby jenniren » 21 Jun 2024, 23:58

Sadly it isn't that easy WM. Ed has had malignant melanoma, a cancer that can metastasis and even when removed as his was, can come back many years later. Much as we love the sun and like to holiday in hotter countries, it's absolutely essential he wears a proven F50 sunscreen, wears a hat and generally avoids sitting in direct sunlight without some shade.
jenniren

Postby Workingman » 22 Jun 2024, 10:16

Jen, there are individual instances such as Ed's and they are a concern. I totally understand that.

What prompted my post were reports that some sunsceen claims are not as veriified. We are being conned.

I never use them and go with Dad's System.

Go out, come in, Nivea, out again, repeat,
Workingman

Postby Suff » 27 Jun 2024, 18:43

Last time I used sunscreen was in the Carib. The sun is simply too strong and burns me. I am pretty much tanned all year round because we get sufficient sun in Jan Feb and in Oct - Dec to keep a tan going.

So I don't use sunscreen any more than the vast majority of the French do. If you go to French campsites sunscreen is banned from the pools. It clogs the sand filters and I can tell you that is a cast iron bitch to deal with.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to News and Current Affairs