Attack on the internet in France

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Re: Attack on the internet in France

Postby Suff » 24 May 2024, 13:13

Actually Starlink is not St Elon, it's Gwynne Shotwell who is a Legend and actually responds to numpty's like me.

The whole point about Starlink is that it takes me completely out of the French system altogether. It is Global and resilient, end of story.

As for France. They took down every single operator but not in every city. Every landline and mobile operator was impacted to one degree or another. It was like being transported back to the early 1990's in many ways, where the landlines were cut and the fledgling mobile services running on wireless were the only way to talk.

These days we don't expect that the internet, landline phones (all of them), and mobiles go down in one go. The only connectivity available was mobile calls. Not whatsapp, not facetime, just good old PSTN.

As for segmentation? I agree, they should but it is not the nerds who won't do it. It is the bean counters who look at the price and start screaming about shareholders dividend and wasting money.

I wonder how much they had to pay in penalties this time? Enough to buy segmentation I bet. However they have insurance for these attacks but segmentation comes out of profits. Very little ever changes.

On the other hand St Elon as you call him and his Starlink, the Russians tried ever so hard to bring that down. I mean REALLY tried. They failed because St Elon and his team don't pay shareholders any money because SpaceX is privately owned and if they need to build segmentation and resiliency and redundancy in they just pay for it.

There is a lesson in there somewhere if I was just clever enough to know it.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Previous

Return to News and Current Affairs