How absolutely tragic!

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Re: How absolutely tragic!

Postby Gal » 23 Dec 2012, 18:00

miasmum wrote:I am not defending them, but neither do I think they should be entirely held to blame.

Agreed.

I think it's interesting that we hold different opinions about this. As it should be I guess, nothing is black and white, there are several and varied shades in between, and none of us here are privy to them all.

I'm sure the DJs would never have made the call if they'd been at all aware of the state of mind of the nurse on duty. It is just such a tragic shame that she was on duty that night and put the call through - that, in essence, is at the crux of this matter. Any 'normal' (hate that word) person would have dealt with it accordingly, not taken their own life.
Gal

Postby Kaz » 23 Dec 2012, 18:15

It is interesting Gal, and as you say quite right, that we all have different views..........

I still agree absolutely with every word Ossie has said.....
Kaz

Postby miasmum » 23 Dec 2012, 18:27

but what if one of your own kids, just as a prank, jumped out at someone wearing a halloween mask, or in the dark, and this person had an unknown heart condition and collapsed and died and the press vilified your child :o Would that be ok?

I know you will say this was a far more serious thing than jumping out at someone, but if they had got told, as I am sure they were expecting, sorry we cannot divulge any personal information, then it wouldn't have been. Whoever gave them information was in the wrong, but they seem to have got off scott free :shock:

I am just thinking there for for the grace of God type thoughts I suppose
miasmum

Postby Gal » 23 Dec 2012, 18:38

miasmum wrote: Whoever gave them information was in the wrong, but they seem to have got off scott free :shock:

I know - we haven't heard anything from that quarter :|
Gal

Postby miasmum » 23 Dec 2012, 18:47

and we would probably have never heard anymore about any of it, if she hadn't killed herself. That is what has blown it out of all proportion
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 23 Dec 2012, 19:08

We would probably have heard nothing more about it had it stayed with 2dayFM in Australia, but no, somebody here in the UK decided to rebroadcast it - with subtitles, so that we could be absolutely sure of what was being said. Why?

Did the Australian DJs force them to? I bet not.

I think I know why, but.......
Workingman

Postby miasmum » 23 Dec 2012, 19:20

Why WM?
miasmum

Postby Workingman » 23 Dec 2012, 19:39

Because it fell in with the obsequious, fawning, sycophantic cult of celebrity surrounding the Royals.

Kate this, Wills that, Kate and Will..... on and on and on. We knew every second of their lives from the moment the pregnancy was announced.

Then a prank call gets through and it's suddenly a National Disaster. Well, actually, no it isn't - it's a prank call. We public didn't even have to be made aware of it it was so bloody awful and amateurish, or if we were made aware we did not have to hear it in it's entirety. But again, no, it is blown out of all proportion, as though an assassination attempt had succeeded. No state secrets were given away, not even very much was given away about "the patient" that were not already in the public domain. The prank call of itself was a non-story, or if there was a story it was that a private hospital for the rich and famous failed in its duty, but the fawning British media wanted to make something more out of it.... and BOY did it succeed!
Workingman

Postby KateLMead » 23 Dec 2012, 20:00

Sadly it appears that she had suicidal tendencies.. Poor woman the whole situation is extremely sad.
KateLMead

Postby Workingman » 23 Dec 2012, 20:32

I must be the only mad man on the planet who believes that the hospital which has served the Royals down the generations would NOT give them the public reception number if they wanted to find out about the heir to the heir to the the heir of the throne.
Workingman

PreviousNext

Return to News and Current Affairs