UK government turn to the devil to get their rural broadband

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

UK government turn to the devil to get their rural broadband

Postby Suff » 01 Dec 2022, 16:58

Initiative back on track.

Elon Musk's satellites are to be part of a UK trial to get high-speed internet to remote homes and companies.

The enhanced package of connectivity - operated by his Starlink technology - is part of government plans to ensure everyone can access reliable coverage.

It will test how more than 3,000 low-Earth orbit small satellites can be used to help more than a dozen "very hard to reach" places.

The rollout will initially be trialled at three remote locations.

They are the 12th-Century Rievaulx Abbey in North York Moors National Park, Wasdale Head in the Lake District and within Snowdonia National Park.

After the trials, the government will consider the viability of using the technology.

I can advise the government that my own Starlink is working (almost), fine for business use. I can do meetings on it and the performance works well. That being said I've already had to diagnose and report one error with their router. It is fixed for me for now but they need to get their own routers updated and fixed, not everyone can diagnose network issues. I've also switched all my late night move watching to my starlink and performance is great, I get 4k movies without any real issues.

Given that Starlink is authorised and sized, for 32,000 satellites, I think this is an extremely good service. I had more outages with early broadband than I'm seeing with this.

I checked the serial number on my starlink. It is nearly 5 million. Which is probably why it turned up in less than a month.

There will be downsides. A good friend of mine runs a wifi broadband business in rural Scotland. His business will be hit by this eventually. Right now it is too expensive but prices will fall.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to News and Current Affairs