Clearly Nissan didn't get the memo

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Re: Clearly Nissan didn't get the memo

Postby Suff » 28 Nov 2023, 00:34

Kaz wrote:Our new car is a hybrid - best of both worlds.

Not really. It still emits more emissions than a battery EV even if the battery EV were charging on coal fired power. The goal for these EV's is to reduce our emissions so that we have some hope of gaining control over the warming of the planet in the second half of the 21st century.

Hybrids do not help here but they do give a stepping stone to full battery EV from 2035 onwards.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Suff » 28 Nov 2023, 00:48

Workingman wrote:The main issue is not that manufacturers can sell us crap, but that in the future they will attempt to sell us more crap that we cannot afford and do not need.
I so look forward to a world of emissions-free electric tractors. Already availalble when charged on renewable energy, small and limited but it is a start

, combined harvesters All things in their time.

, super tankers, These will never be electric. Ammonia made with renewable Hydrogen, yes, Electric, no

trans-continental aircraft, Ditto
ferries, Already there
trains, And there are these too

it's not going to happen. Industry produces all the crap we do not need because it is essential for the global economy's never ending growth, and that is what is destroying us. We just buy in and suck it up.

EVs will help us not one bit.

All you have to do is look.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 28 Nov 2023, 01:29

Road transport in all forms accounts for about 15% of global CO2 emissions. General manufacturing and construction are not far behind. Production of electricity and heat is almost 30%.

If all EV cars and vans were produced using CO2 free Angel breath and ran on Unicorn waste they might save about 3% to 4% of global CO2 emissions: might. They are not, so please stop pretending that they are going to save the planet.

They are an essential tool to help mitigate CO2, as are windmills, solar, heat pumps, insulation, hydro and many, many other things, but they are a long way from being the solution.

As for the other things... I did look, that's why I mentioned them. They come under "transport", as do EVs, and not one of them is emission-free as is claimed.

Love the mini tractor - ideal if you have a vineyard. And the (Hybrid) ferry, the one that “During 2022, emissions on this ferry route will be reduced by 75 per cent”. I suppose it's a start, only a few tens of thousands more to convert. I can't see the point of battery trains which run on lines with overhead cables to power the other electric trains.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 28 Nov 2023, 19:02

You know that in the UK emissions in the UK are roughly 30% road transport, 25% electricity and 33% heating with Industry (industrial heating is counted in heating) and others taking the rest?

Global figures are OK in some ways but roughly half the population in the globe doesn't have a vehicle. But most of them do have electricity and most of that is powered by coal. Which skews the figures.

The main issue is that half that doesn't have a vehicle Wants to have a vehicle. which means emissions jump again especially when we sell our old ICE vehicles to them.

But if you take the step and stop producing ICE, then after around 25 years there are zero ICE vehicles to trickle down. What is trickling down are EV's.

As you say it's a start and it's slow. But a start which is not perfect is better than no start which continues BAU.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 28 Nov 2023, 21:08

I think that we should try some real figures from the UK Environmental Accounts: 2023

We produced a total of 502 Mt of carbon dioxide.

The four biggest sector users were:
*Consumer Expenditure: 134,261Mt = 26.75%
*Manufacturing: 86.080Mt = 17.14%
*Energy Sector: 81,593Mt = 16.25%.
*Transport: 56,753Mt = 11.30%

The other 143,313Mt = 28.54% were from all other sectors combined.

Transport includes all forms, not just cars and vans, as well as some elements of garaging and storage. EVs are a very small part.

The issue really is with global emissions of which the UK puts out 1.1% of the total. There is not a UK shaped pipe around us reaching out into space where we are isolated from the global climate and global emissions.

I have never once said that we should continue to produce ICE, and I am not against EVs. What I am against is the hype and bullshit used to promote them such as net-zero or zero emissions - there are no such things - and also the total dismissal of the problems they have and cause, and there are many.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 29 Nov 2023, 14:12

There are mixed figures here. These are more where money is spent in emitting CO2.

So to go back to what I was saying.

From another UK government report

In 2021, COVID-19 restrictions were eased, and people were able
to travel more freely. Following on from this, in 2022, all restrictions were removed, resulting in
consecutive years of increasing territorial carbon dioxide emissions from the transport sector to
112.5 Mt, a 3.8% (4.2 Mt) rise from 2021, yet 7.7% (9.4 Mt) lower than in 2019. In 2022
transport accounted for 34.0% of all territorial carbon dioxide emissions
, compared to 30.9% in
2020 and 34.0% in 2019 (pre-pandemic). The large majority of emissions from transport are
from road transport

I grant you the energy has dropped and I didn't clock it.

Residential (mostly heat) and business, (mostly heat), come to 35% combined. Roughly 30% for heating, almost all gas.

This is where the figures come from. It is like the difference between nominal gdp and gdp per capita. One tells you exactly how much money is circulating in your economy and the other tells you how effective your people are at producing GDP. Totally different things.
Suff

Previous

Return to News and Current Affairs