When making projections and declaring demise

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Re: When making projections and declaring demise

Postby Suff » 26 Jan 2024, 23:55

The interglacial is the peak. We are at the peak but our climate peaked thousands of years ago. CO2 just grew as a result.

We are now stopping the next drop off into an ice age. That's us, no argument, it is us.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 27 Jan 2024, 09:48

Damned right it's us - you, me, him and her. However, what nags and worries me is the almost total focus on CO2 and the atmosphere to the exclusion of just about anything else.

The media sometimes drip feeds us snippets about the Amazon rainforest, river pollution, palm oil plantations, mono-culture agriculture, micro plastics in drinking water and food etc. and then those things drop off the page for weeks, months or years and are quietly forgotten even though they are with us all the time. Population is never mentioned, and don't forget never ending economic growth!

It is a combination of all these other (destructive) actions that will be the end of life as we know it, not just CO2 and the atmosphere. The Gaia hypothesis in action.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 29 Jan 2024, 15:25

Workingman wrote:It is a combination of all these other (destructive) actions that will be the end of life as we know it, not just CO2 and the atmosphere. The Gaia hypothesis in action.

On that I do agree but but the rainforest, plantations etc are all part of the CO2 issue. You remove the CO2 sinks and push that CO2 back into the atmosphere and things get worse. The liveable biosphere shrinks yet the world population grows.

Population, as you say, is a real issue that nobody will tackle. Let me give you just one instance.

Gaza. 300,000 sq km of land. Mostly urban and cities, more than half as far as I can see. How much land do you need, not storage, not access routes within to farm; to support a vegetarian diet for 2.2m people?

800,000 sq km.

If you include storage and accessways you can double that.

Any wonder there are hundreds of food trucks going there daily even without a war?
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Previous

Return to News and Current Affairs