Are we (and the media) scaring ourselves?

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Are we (and the media) scaring ourselves?

Postby Workingman » 11 Feb 2024, 15:30

It is reported that the Ring video doorbell scheme is increasing by 43%, and what a furore, but do you actually need one or any other type?

There are 23.7 million homes in the UK and in 2023 some 191,490 uninvited entrances (burglaries) were recorded - 525 per day over the whole UK. We have less than a 1% chance of being burgled at any time. And get this: over 50% of burglaries happened when people were at home. So much for the video doorbell protecting you...

If you are really paranoid there are much cheaper ways of doing surveillance by DIY and free apps rather than a 'consumer' package.
Workingman

Re: Are we (and the media) scaring ourselves?

Postby cruiser2 » 11 Feb 2024, 16:12

I have a solid mahogany front and back door. The front door has a small window in so I can see if any one is stood at the front.
There are two seperate mortice locks

Can only get to the back door from the garden. I have double glazing and window locks down stairs,

Also an alarm which Iuse at night and when I go out.

Neighbour across has a security camera mounted about thre meters above the ground. He can control the position and view the scene
from his mobile phone.
cruiser2

Postby Workingman » 12 Feb 2024, 14:08

I also have a solid door with a small window and two five-lever mortice locks - one at about chest height and one at knee height, as advised by the police. The awning light above the door and is on a motion sensor. I could rig it up to an alarm and a phone app if I could be bothered.

It is interesting to note that "window" burglaries have continued to drop since more and more double glazing has been installed, now down below 30%.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 12 Feb 2024, 14:35

Scared people are easier to manipulate; and from Weather warnings to Covid and back again, we are always being told that there is something that we should be worried about.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Return to News and Current Affairs