News, or not

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

News, or not

Postby cromwell » 16 Feb 2024, 14:00

An unusual thing happened the other day. A body was found behind the wmc in Sharlston, a village very close to us. They had hung themselves.
But there doesn't seem to be anything about it in the news.
Last year in this village someone had their door kicked in, were threatened and had their car stolen; again, nothing in the news.
Does this happen when you are?

There is stuff in the news that to me isn't news at all, but some quite serious stuff never gets mentioned.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Re: News, or not

Postby Workingman » 16 Feb 2024, 19:38

Cromwell wrote:Does this happen when you are?

Yes, of course it does, but it tends to be 'local news for local people' and is spread by word of mouth. Not evereything can be reported in the media - newspapers would be inches thick and news broadcasts would be never ending. "That was the 5 o'clock news, now here are the Arctic Monkey, and its over to the newsroom for the 6 o'clock news".

However, it is vitally important that we all know Harry tried a sit-on ski and Singapore has signed a deal with Taylor Swift that she will not appear in other south Asian countries.
Workingman

Re: News, or not

Postby TheOstrich » 16 Feb 2024, 22:01

We have a long-standing institution down here, the free, 100+ page "Blackmore Vale News" which gets publidshed fortnightly. Pick it up from your local store. 85% adverts, naturally, but loads of interesting local features / articles, and the news section does report a fair bit of the stuff you refer to, Crommers.

The other thing is local radio. We have a local station "Radio Alfred" based in Shaftesbury. I don't bother with it personally, but from what I've heard, they do give a pretty comprehensive local news coverage.
TheOstrich

Return to News and Current Affairs