The by-elections.

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

The by-elections.

Postby Workingman » 16 Feb 2024, 20:04

Not good news for the Cons, but good news for Labour, Reform and the country.

So, what do we get from Risky? "My plan for the country is working" Talk about denial. Recession was the plan, was it?

We also learn that some backbenchers want Sunhat to change course, but they are from the hard-right side claiming the Cons have to "declare its willingness to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights and repeal the Human Rights Act if courts in Strasbourg or Britain invoke European rights laws to stop the removal of illegal migrants".

They sound like Reform members rather than the One Nation Conservatives most of us could support.

I wonder if Risky could survive a no confidence vote?
Workingman

Re: The by-elections.

Postby TheOstrich » 16 Feb 2024, 21:50

Pleased to see the Reform Party performing so well, returning over 10%, even if it does mean that Labour will get in with a landslide.
One pundit is calculating that if the result at Wellingborough is repeated in the General Election, the Conservatives could be left with just 4 seats .....
TheOstrich

Postby Workingman » 16 Feb 2024, 22:36

What are you saying, Ossie?

That you want Reform to take over from the Cons or that destroying the Cons and letting Labour in is good for the country? Hmm...

Reform, or UKIP 2.0, will never overtake the Cons so it's Labour for a while. And it was a poor night for the LibDems - beaten by the Greens in both seats.

Farage or Tice as PM, do be brief. :lol:

We need PR; proper PR.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 16 Feb 2024, 23:24

Turnout was 37 and 38%, crikey.
If the Parliamentary conservative party want to make themselves even more ridiculous, yes, try and get rid of Mr Soonoff.
But I can't help thinking it would be like being appointed captain of the Titanic after it had hit the iceberg.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby medsec222 » 17 Feb 2024, 12:10

Is there a difference between the Conservatives and Labour. They seem to be merging into one. Perhaps Labour is marginally worse.
medsec222

Postby cromwell » 17 Feb 2024, 12:43

The is a phrase doing the rounds Meds; some people refer to the people in the House of Commons as "The Uniparty".

You can see why. They all believe in mass immigration, net zero, trans whatever, etc etc.

A supposedly conservative government has delivered more civil servants, a smaller armed forces, the highest levels of taxation sice Adam was a lad and the highest ever legal and illegal immigration. None of which seems very conservative to me.

I suppose Labour will give us more 20 mph zones, more Ulez and more LTNs. Not really a lot of difference between them as far as I can see.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 17 Feb 2024, 14:46

I would rather have a few more 20 MPH zones etc. than mass immigration, net zero and trans whatevers.

LTNs though, do not exist. They are a chimera of the agenda driven snowflakes of something called Commonplace working in conjunction with councils. The people who live in them still have cars so they now have to drive round streets they would never have used to get to an "authorised" entry / exit and get home.

On the one near me the locals have shunted the planters blocking the roads over to one side.

They will look pretty in spring, though. Bless.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 18 Feb 2024, 20:58

Aren't you pleased you live in such Interesting times?

Just think, you could live in the US and have a choice between a senile President who is being used by the military industrial complex to make a fortune out of two wars. Or a mad dog that you have no idea what he really would do but he will certainly tear down everything that stopped him last time.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Return to News and Current Affairs