Gove and Extremism

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Gove and Extremism

Postby cromwell » 14 Mar 2024, 10:53

Here comes the next crackdown. Michael Gove has come up with a new definition of extremism.

The new definition, released today, describes extremism as "the promotion or advancement of an ideology based on violence, hatred or intolerance" that aims to "negate or destroy the fundamental rights and freedoms of others", or "undermine, overturn or replace the UK's system of liberal parliamentary democracy and democratic rights".

OK, so can anyone think of an ideology based on violence hatred or intolerance?
And we're back at square one again because how do you define what is "intolerant"? Saying that you don't like somebody or something, is that intolerant?

Even if you are intolerant, how does that intolerance "destroy the rights and freedom of others?" Seriously, how?
How does disliking someone a threat to democracy?

But the biggest piece of this is something that the TV news (that I've seen anyway) hasn't mentioned.
The new definition of intolerance includes also those who "intentionally create a permissive environment for others to achieve" either of those aims.
I'm guessing that is aimed at websites who allow an expression of dislike towards another group.

This is intended to shut down the discussion of topics that are uncomfortable to politicians, and it will.
Because any website provider who looks at a contribution to a thread may think "That's a bit borderline, better mod it".
It's just the further suppression and intimidation of free speech.

When Tony Blair was PM I made a joke that it would soon be a criminal offence to dislike anybody, for any reason.
It's not so much of a joke now.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Re: Gove and Extremism

Postby Workingman » 14 Mar 2024, 15:23

It is all a bit wishy-washy.

'It will apply to, but not criminalise, groups that promote an ideology based on "violence, hatred or intolerance"'.

So, extremists will just get a slap on the wrist: is that it? Oh, and they will be "blocked from government funding and meeting officials". Err, why are we funding them in the first place, and if we don't meet with them how will know what their aims are? Things will go underground - history tells us that.

These groups, and we all know who they are, will still exist and be out there, but you can bet your mortgage that some (all) of them will be treated with kid gloves.

The extremism the politicians are worried about are not Just stop Oil or Extinction Rebellion, they are religious groups, mainly sub-sets of one religion, the problem is that the government is scared 5h1tless to come out and say it.

What they have come up with is a catch-all scheme that anyone can fall into. If they don't get you with "extremism" they will get you with a "hate" crime.
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 14 Mar 2024, 19:48

As an Atheist I do not like Religions - any of them. Does that make me an extremist or a realist?

I tolerate all religious views; I just do not believe in any of them. Does that make me an extremist? Well yes, extremist, apparently.

For some adherents I am an heretic or an apostate. I don't give a stuff what they think, tbh, but where do I stand within the laws of the land?

Extremist or free thinker?

We are not allowed to be free thinkers, so go figure.
Workingman

Postby Workingman » 14 Mar 2024, 20:31

Those Sci-Fi films with pre-cognition viewers (think of a crime and you are guilty) and remote viewing operatives don't look so far-fetched now, do they?

Orwell might have been right all along - though 40 years too early.
Workingman

Return to News and Current Affairs