Car Not Taxed or Insured

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Car Not Taxed or Insured

Postby cruiser2 » 18 Mar 2024, 09:39

On Friday, as I walked to see one of the neighbours there was a police car parked outside one of the houses. I asked one of the policemen what was happening.
He said they are coming to take a car away which was not taxed or insured and parked in the Crescent. As we stood talking a lorry arrived and the car was
driven onto it and taken away.
The policeman said they check every road including small side strrets and cul-de sacs like mine. So nowhere is safe from NPR system.
cruiser2

Re: Car Not Taxed or Insured

Postby Workingman » 18 Mar 2024, 11:25

Interesting!

I sometimes watch Traffic Cops or Police Interceptors and this keeps cropping up. The trouble is that many of these people don't care. They will just go out and buy another "burner" and carry on. The fines and points on their licence don't matter as they are often cheaper than being legal for some people, especially younger drivers.

Also, today I am getting my replacement car after last week's write-off. The hoops we have to jump through to make sure we are legal is a minefield. Everything is done online or via an app and the number of tries I have had in getting these systems to accept that it is me at the correct address when trying to make a payment (Tax / VED) before my payment is refused is so frustrating. All I get is a message saying that the payment cannot be made at this time - try again later. There is never an explanation as to what the problem is.
Workingman

Re: Car Not Taxed or Insured

Postby cromwell » 18 Mar 2024, 13:34

When I worked for the police there was a case of one driver who had been driving for seven years without tax or insurance. We reckoned that she would still come out ahead after she was fined, as she would have saved more money not taxing or insuring her car. Hopefully with what Cruiser says, this would be more difficult now.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Return to News and Current Affairs