Sleight of hand

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Re: Sleight of hand

Postby TheOstrich » 10 Apr 2024, 22:45

cromwell wrote:There have been quite a few stories in the press about the ineptitude of HMRC. In particular how difficult it is to contact them and how long they take to respond to queries.

I think one key thing here, Crommers, is - have you registered for tax on-line?

It's easy enough to do, and if you do raise a question with them, either on-line or by post, you can see a "progress bar" across the top of the screen that let's you know where they've got to in dealing with it. I'm not saying they'll deal with it any quicker, mind you :lol: , but at least you know where they're at!
TheOstrich

Postby cromwell » 10 Apr 2024, 22:53

That's interesting Os, I'll have to look into that because I want to get in touch with HMRC for the same reasons given by Kaz.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby TheOstrich » 11 Apr 2024, 00:08

Kaz wrote:I spent almost two hours on the phone attempting to get through to HMRC about making a payment for missing NI years - then got cut off just as someone answered :shock: :evil: It took me weeks to build myself up for another attempt :roll:

Crommers wrote:That's interesting Os, I'll have to look into that because I want to get in touch with HMRC for the same reasons given by Kaz.

Ah, if you're thinking about checking or buying missing NI contributions, I don't think you can do that via the HMRC on-line account, I'm afraid - it's a Pensions Service thing. Different from tax.

However, you may find this MoneySavingsExpert article helpful / of interest; it may cover what you're trying to do.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... ng%20years.
TheOstrich

Postby Kaz » 11 Apr 2024, 07:56

I did get it sorted in the end, but it was a huge palaver. Firstly you need to get a pension forecast - I did that online. Then a call to the DWP, which meant a long wait in the queue, to get it confirmed which years are best to pay, then on to HMRC who give you a code to pay online. It's a ridiculously complicated system :cute: You can't pay online until you have that code :roll:
Kaz

Postby cromwell » 12 Apr 2024, 09:34

Kaz, did you ask for your history of NI contributions first? Do you mind if I pick your brains on this?
cromwell

Postby Workingman » 12 Apr 2024, 18:01

Cromwell, you can do a personal check here.

You need a few bits and bobs but they should not be too hard to get.
Workingman

Postby Kaz » 12 Apr 2024, 21:34

cromwell wrote:Kaz, did you ask for your history of NI contributions first? Do you mind if I pick your brains on this?

I went online via the gov.uk gateway, it gives you a gateway number to access your contribution history and get a pension forecast. Armed with that I rang the DWP, and they helped me pick the best ie cheapest missing years to pay. I needed to do that before ringing HMRC, as it is they who take the actual payment.

Frank's link will start you off, as it explains about the gateway number.

Hope that helps :)
Kaz

Postby cromwell » 13 Apr 2024, 11:51

Thanks Kaz, Os and WM. I'll make a start this weekend.
cromwell

Postby Kaz » 13 Apr 2024, 20:45

8-)
Kaz

Previous

Return to News and Current Affairs