When an MP defects,

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

When an MP defects,

Postby Workingman » 09 May 2024, 10:36

from one party to another shouldn't there be a by-election?

Those MPs were largely voted in on a party ticket. Yes, we know that they are supposed to represent all constituents, but we also know that it is done with a party bias, let's not kid ourselves otherwise.

Those who voted Conservative for Poulter and Elphicke as MPs have been cheated, and given their previous statements about Labour it is a mystery why they have been accepted into Labour's ranks.

It might not be so bad if those resigning from a party had to then sit as Independents.
Workingman

Re: When an MP defects,

Postby cromwell » 09 May 2024, 14:11

Yes there should be a bye election.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Kaz » 09 May 2024, 16:09

They ought to really, but more to the point why doesn't Sunak read the room and call a GE, instead of dragging it out? :cute:
Kaz

Postby Suff » 09 May 2024, 20:17

There should always be an election but we all know that MP's are not accountable and we only get to vote once per election unless the person dies or steps down.

If they were truly accountable we could vote to impeach them. That would light a fire under most of them. Which is why the turkeys won't vote for that particular Christmas.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby TheOstrich » 09 May 2024, 20:22

Kaz wrote:They ought to really, but more to the point why doesn't Sunak read the room and call a GE, instead of dragging it out? :cute:

+1 on this, I fully agree with you Kaz. it's getting beyond a joke now. We all need to move on.

I have no idea what possessed Labour to welcome in Elphicke, it's not as if she is going to stand in the next election.

If she wanted to make a point and had any decency, then yes, she should have resigned the whip and remained as an Independent MP. Defecting to Labour is just cheap "look at me" publicity.

Poulter, as an NHS Doctor, I had a bit more sympathy with in his decision to defect to Labour.
TheOstrich

Return to News and Current Affairs