Pandora's box is wide open

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Pandora's box is wide open

Postby Workingman » 06 Dec 2012, 15:28

Following on from Jimmy Savile, and the various investigations his actions gave birth to, we now learn that Stuart Hall and Max Clifford have been arrested.

There will be a lot of shuffling on seats going on in the world of entertainment and other high-profile professions. I fully expect a few sitting, and former, MPs/Ministers/Lords to be awaiting a knock on the door if some of the rumours turn out to have any truth in them.
Workingman

Re: Pandora's box is wide open

Postby Rodo » 06 Dec 2012, 16:15

It's just unbelievable isn't it. What an awful mess.
Rodo

Postby Paddypix » 06 Dec 2012, 16:55

It's getting to the stage where nothing is surprising me. To really shock me now they'll have to arrest the Pope.
Paddypix

Postby KateLMead » 06 Dec 2012, 19:47

Paddypix wrote:It's getting to the stage where nothing is surprising me. To really shock me now they'll have to arrest the Pope.

And thats not beyond the realms of possibilities the way things are going.. ;)
KateLMead

Postby Suff » 06 Dec 2012, 20:14

I am never surprised to find that there are more people in the "not very nice" category than anyone thought...... I already knew that.....
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 06 Dec 2012, 20:18

The only thing surprising me at the moment is that the number having their collars felt is so low - I expect a lot more will follow.
Workingman

Postby Suff » 06 Dec 2012, 20:28

Maybe but then it's always possible they are struggling with the sheer volume of time wasters and profiteers and masking people with a truly disturbing story to tell.

If I'm not mistaken they will probably be putting quite a lot of effort into revisiting old cases which were closed without any good reason.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 06 Dec 2012, 20:52

Good point. The time wasters and profit seekers probably are doing a lot of harm to the real victims.
Workingman

Postby cromwell » 06 Dec 2012, 23:40

Well Jimmy savile wasn't a surprise.
What is a surprise is that it is all coming out now, and that so many people are horrified. Why?
There have been rumours for years about a famous antipodean entertainer, a famous football manager or two, one half of a comedy double act, John Peel, Stuart Hall, Cyril smith most certainly (and repeatedly during the 70's) etc etc ad infinitum - why all the fainting and clutching of handbags now?

We are in severe danger of bogging the justice system down in the events of forty years since. I feel for genuine victims but there are going to be so many bandwagon jumpers that it's unreal.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Return to News and Current Affairs