boot camp for teenage yobs

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

Re: boot camp for teenage yobs

Postby Suff » 11 Dec 2012, 03:53

Oojamaflip wrote:Ah Suff 'personal responsibility', and self-discipline too. Is there such a thing any longer in our 'blame' and 'claim' culture?

Not really, but until we do reinstate the culture of personal responsibility how do we expect our children, growing up in blame and claim, to become responsible adults who have some element of self discipline. I know that I was on the fringe of the "if I want it then it's OK" culture when I was a teenager. God knows how I would have turned out in the 21st century culture.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Workingman » 11 Dec 2012, 13:53

Personal responsibility! Why should anyone take personal responsibility for anything?

Nobody at the top ever does. When things go wrong on their watch they walk away with a golden goodbye and walk straight into another job in another organisation - or they get excellent compensation and a pension. The examples are there for everyone to see.

Good for the goose.....
Workingman

Postby Oojamaflip » 12 Dec 2012, 12:13

Workingman wrote:Personal responsibility! Why should anyone take personal responsibility for anything?

Nobody at the top ever does. When things go wrong on their watch they walk away with a golden goodbye and walk straight into another job in another organisation - or they get excellent compensation and a pension. The examples are there for everyone to see.

Good for the goose.....

And that's how this generation especially has developed, and so nothing changes.

Two wrongs have never made a right and never will. It's the nature of youngsters to believe their world revolves around them, but hopefully with maturity and a growing awareness we are but a speck of sand on a vast, vast beach that's a mindset we grow out of - unless nobody ever grows out of it.

Or . . . are you being ironic?
<>< The reward that outdoes all others is the peace of knowing that you did the right thing ><>
Oojamaflip

Postby Workingman » 12 Dec 2012, 12:53

Probalbly.

Most parents, however capable, and most schools, DO try to instil some discipline and order to children's lives. It might not be the rod of iron of yesteryear, but it is there. Unfortunately the outside influences - TV, magazines, radio, cinema, the streets - make out that everything is there for the taking, and, of course, that is far more persuasive. You want to be a pop star? No problem, you will be a pop star. Children, like water, will take the easiest route to wherever.
Workingman

Previous

Return to News and Current Affairs