boot camp for teenage yobs

Postby saundra » 07 Dec 2012, 13:55

about time to hope
goverment sort them out
they need some discipline i think
saundra

Re: boot camp for teenage yobs

Postby cromwell » 07 Dec 2012, 16:45

It would be nice to think so Saundra; let's hope it works.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Kaz » 07 Dec 2012, 17:42

Well it's got to be better than sending them on holidays and stuff!

Remember Safari Boy? He's now 35 and still living here in Gloucester, and still gets into the local paper now and again for his criminal activities! So that worked well.....................

This was the report in the Daily Telegraph this summer, over one hundred convictions later!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... crime.html

Ironically he is a direct descendant of Henry Hook, the hero of Rourke's Drift and the film Zulu :? :roll:
Kaz

Postby KateLMead » 07 Dec 2012, 17:57

Stupid authorities have tried every thing else saundra, it's time real fair discipline was dished out, in schools, at home and work, march and work them till they drop... Bread and water if their behaviour warrants it. solitary confinement the lot... No more being taken on holiday with half a dozen social workers happy to get in on the act.. As you say Kaz, the young lad you mentioned thinks he is untouchable...
KateLMead

Postby saundra » 07 Dec 2012, 18:27

then kate they would get millions in compensation
but one can hope
kaz didnt do him much good did it
saundra

Postby Workingman » 07 Dec 2012, 19:08

I am not keen on boot camps. They only make the idiots stronger and fitter... and even enlarge the chips on their shoulders.

Discipline has to start earlier, in primary school, and it has to be consistent and constant all the way through school. Parents of those who continually break the rules should also be punished.
Workingman

Postby Oojamaflip » 08 Dec 2012, 11:39

Discipline needs to start even earlier than school - in the home: at the first sign of a stompy foot 'wanting what I want and I want it now'. It's no good schools trying to instil discipline if it's undermined at home, and vice versa; right up to some ridiculous aspects of 'Human Rights' abdicating the need for self-discipline. It's much easier to train a puppy than to try and untrain and re-train an old dog, but being as we are a society full of, in that sense, 'older dogs', I guess any attempt at re-training is better than none.
<>< The reward that outdoes all others is the peace of knowing that you did the right thing ><>
Oojamaflip

Postby cromwell » 08 Dec 2012, 14:38

Oojamaflip wrote:Discipline needs to start even earlier than school - in the home:

Truth.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley
cromwell

Postby Suff » 10 Dec 2012, 18:38

Boot camps are a waste of space. These kids understand naked forced and nothing else. Even the Army now is not allowed to even shout at recruits, let alone physically abuse them as was commonplace when I went through basic training. As WM says, it will just make badly behaved yobs fitter and stronger.

I'm in favour of the solution I read about a few times in 50's and 60's sci fi. Simply put you take the antisocials of society and give them a choice. Social reprogramming or go and live "outside" society. Sadly we don't have a spare Yuma or Gobi desert to dump them in.....

Until these yobs understand personal responsibility they will be a pariah on UK society. As we don't have the ability to force responsibility on them, I can only see that they will continue down the same path until they are old enough and have made enough trouble to be put in Jail.

If you read Heinlein's Starship Troopers (the book not the trashy film), he talks about this. He talks about there being no such thing as a juvenile delinquent. By nature a "juvenile" is effectively below majority and therefore not "responsible". So who is? Well if the juvenile is not responsible for their behaviour, then the parent or guardian is. Therefore there are delinquent parents and guardians but no Juvenile delinquents.

So, in theory, we should send the parents to jail. But before we do that we have to remove all these laws on smacking and disciplining children, so they have tools to work with.

In the end our own system and the psychobabble which drives it, causes the problems we see today.....
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand Binary and those who do not.
Suff

Postby Oojamaflip » 10 Dec 2012, 23:19

Ah Suff 'personal responsibility', and self-discipline too. Is there such a thing any longer in our 'blame' and 'claim' culture?
<>< The reward that outdoes all others is the peace of knowing that you did the right thing ><>
Oojamaflip

Next

Return to News and Current Affairs