One way to help those forced to sleep rough

A board for news and views on what's happening in the world

One way to help those forced to sleep rough

Postby Oojamaflip » 10 Dec 2012, 09:42

If it saves just one life during the forecast minus degrees, it can only be a good thing.

http://www.streetlink.org.uk/

StreetLink is a website that enables the public to alert local authorities in England about rough sleepers in their area. This service offers the public a means to act when they see someone sleeping rough and is the first step someone can take to ensure rough sleepers are connected to the local services and support available to them. The service is funded by Government and is part of their commitment to end rough sleeping.
<>< The reward that outdoes all others is the peace of knowing that you did the right thing ><>
Oojamaflip

Re: One way to help those forced to sleep rough

Postby Kaz » 10 Dec 2012, 10:05

I was out at my dustbin the other night when there was a thick frost coming in, and I did think how terrible it must be to be homeless in this weather :o

Good luck to all of the organisations who try to help.
Kaz

Postby pederito1 » 10 Dec 2012, 11:36

I send to Crisis at Christmas. Sleeping rough in -20 does not bear thinking about.
pederito1

Postby Workingman » 10 Dec 2012, 12:38

A lot of rough sleepers are in town and city centres where they are "known". However, there is increasing evidence that some have moved out to the suburbs because it is safer. These are the hidden or lost ones. This site might help those.

There was a case earlier in the year where four immigrants were using a local remote copse as a place to sleep. They had jobs, but no home, so were "camping". Some ramblers walking their dogs discovered a tarpaulin under which were the sleeping bags and camping stoves etc..
Workingman

Postby KateLMead » 10 Dec 2012, 19:47

There have been numerous cases Frank of Immigrants sleeping rough under tarpaulins on the banks of the rivers where they fish for foods, and actually many have been pulled up for killing and eating swans. My sadness is for any one in this position, particularly our ex servicemen too many of whom are homeless and sleeping rough..
KateLMead

Return to News and Current Affairs