For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Quick and easy South Asian style curry.

Postby Workingman » 20 Jun 2013, 18:40

Chicken or prawn.

Two medium onions sliced thinly in half rings
Couple crushed garlic cloves
Large tin of coconut milk
Two chicken breasts cut in bite sized pieces or the equivalent of king prawns
Equal portions (tsp) of turmeric, cumin, hot chilli powder and garam masala or five spice
Juice of a lime or the equivalent from a bottle.
Chicken or veg stock cube
Oil and butter

Slowly fry the onions on a low heat in a bit of oil and butter. Just before they begin to brown add the garlic, chicken or prawns and turn for a few minutes. Add the spices and cook for another minute before adding the coconut milk. Turn up the heat, add the lime juice and crumble in the stock cube. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly to get the stock cube thoroughly mixed in, then turn the heat super low. Cover with a lid and leave till the chicken or prawns are cooked through. You might need to stir it a few times to make sure it does not stick to the pan and a bit of water might be needed if it is thickening up too much.

Goes really well with boiled and fried noodles and a few stir fry veg of choice. Start to table in less than thirty minutes.
Last edited by Workingman on 21 Jun 2013, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Workingman

Re: Quick and easy South Asian style curry.

Postby Diflower » 21 Jun 2013, 08:51

Ooh yum :)
I don't think I have a recipe quite like that one WM, thanks for that :)
Diflower

Postby debih » 21 Jun 2013, 09:05

That sounds lovely WM and it the ingredients are things that I generally always have in.

That could possibly be tomorrow nights dinner. If we have chicken (damned - I knew I was wasting those two chicken breasts on that silly dog!).
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
debih

Postby Workingman » 21 Jun 2013, 14:43

It's my adaptation of something Ching-He Huang did in one of her street cooking shows. She used fish sauce instead of a stock cube, for the saltiness, and saffron - neither of which I have. :o :lol:

My Ken Hom book also has a similar dish with tofu and fresh cashews added. They apparently complete the taste sensation rules, you know: hot, sour, chewy, soft, crunch, blah, blah, blah. :D
Workingman

Return to In The Kitchen