pickled beetroot

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

pickled beetroot

Postby victor » 01 Oct 2013, 19:44

have done myself using white wine vinegar (can't get MALT here) and it is VERY sharp ! :geek:

any suggestions welcome on how to lessen that ?

thanks
victor

Re: pickled beetroot

Postby Rodo » 01 Oct 2013, 21:39

bit of sugar or honey?
Rodo

Postby Weka » 03 Oct 2013, 09:33

I made one once about 4 years ago. From memory, it had more ingredients, and I had to sit the vinegar for couple of months for the flavour to mature. Sorry, but Sasha was only 4 months old at the time, so I was surviving in next to no sleep, so honestly can't really remember what I did. I do remember it being sharp at the beginning, and mellowing a bit afte couple if months.
Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Postby victor » 03 Oct 2013, 14:06

cheers ladies,
tried a bit of sugar ,not really any difference

wonder if it is a "time to stand" thing

will have to wait and see i suppose
thanks again
victor

Postby Weka » 06 Oct 2013, 08:40

This receipe tugs at some memory strings, but I'm sure I put some spices in mine

Mucky_Tiger 10 October 2010 at 4:37pm Quote Reply
we used this last year:

Wash the roots being careful not to break the skins. Trim the tops to remove any leaf residue but do not cut back into the flesh. Cut off the root to leave a tiny "tail". Place in sufficient boiling salted water to cover the roots properly. Bring back to the boil and simmer gently for 1 to 1.5 hrs depending on the size. When fully cooked, a knife should sink into the flesh easily. An alternative is to cook at 15lb pressure in a pressure cooker. Allow to cool, skin and trim. Cut the main root into rounds about 1/8" (3mm) - 1/4" (6mm) thick depending on your preference.

If the pickled beetroot is to be used within a week or so (and stored in a fridge during that time), the rounds can simply be packed into a jar and covered with cold malt or pickling vinegar. If they are to be stored for a long time they should be packed (not too tightly) into proper pickling or bottling jars and covered with boiling vinegar and sealed immediately. Modern jam jars that create a vacuum seal can be used but make sure that the lid is clean, the seal is good and that the vacuum has been created (the central dimple should be depressed.)

With all pickling and preserving, cleanliness is important so make sure that the jars are very clean before use. When bulk pickling, we have held our jars at 12 degrees C. in the oven for 30 minutes after washing, just to be sure.

Sauce for preserving beetroot
Note: These recipes use NZ measurements. 1 c = 1 cup = 250 ml. 1 T = 1 tablespoon = 15 ml. 1 D = 2 teaspoons. 1 t = 1 teaspoon = 5ml. If you're in America, you may find you need a little extra baking powder in recipes that use it.

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 cups malt vinegar
1 tablespoon salt.
Boil sauce for ten minutes.

Pour over hot sliced or cubed cooked beetroot. Fill to overflowing hot sterilized glass jars with beetroot and sauce and screw on sterilized metal lids (the kind with a rubber seal in them) immediately.
When jar lid depresses on cooling you know you have a patent seal and contents will be safe to eat.

-----------

I also made a batch using white vinegar (Gluten free option) and DP couldnt taste is still similar and very nice.

we planted beetroot again this year so i can make some more.
TIP: invest in disposable gloves and a plastic chopping board you can throw away. EVERYTHING will be pink otherwise

Everything happens for a reason
Weka

Return to In The Kitchen