Darnation.... I got that just a bit (very) wrong

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Re: Darnation.... I got that just a bit (very) wrong

Postby Workingman » 11 Oct 2013, 12:06

The breadcrumbs don't go as soggy as you imagine, and they work. 8-)

A quick and easy way to try things out would be a couple of Bernard's "bootiful" chicken or turkey escalops...... but not the ones in batter. :lol:
Workingman

Postby meriad » 11 Oct 2013, 13:54

yum, I like Jaegerschnitzel :lol:

Di, what a lot of people do to stop the crumbs from going soggy is instead of returning the cutlets into the sauce, they put the cutlet on a plate and then have the sauce over it and then quicky served.

Well, I had a very productive morning thanks to the two of you :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did go to the butcher and got some better quality casserole steak from them, so that's now in the slow cooker becoming a hopefully tasty boeuf bourguignon. I used a recipe I have from a slow cooker book.

The steaks I defrosted I split into two. There were three packs and two were a decent thickness so I cubed those and tomorrow I'll make a goulash in the slow cooker and the third pack was very thin sizzling steaks so I cut those into stips and made a 10m stroganoff for lunch today which turned out yummy. So once the boeuf and goulash are done I'll hopefully have a few nice meals to defrost to take to work and heat up in the microwave there for lunch.

so thanks so much again to both of you for all the advice and fab ideas x
meriad

Postby Diflower » 11 Oct 2013, 14:51

Glad it all seems to be working meriad :)

Wash your mouth out WM, you know I wouldn't buy those ;)
I'll bear it in mind, and might do it without the breadcrumbs - sacrilege no doubt :D
Diflower

Postby meriad » 11 Oct 2013, 15:03

Diflower wrote:Wash your mouth out WM, you know I wouldn't buy those ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Diflower wrote:I'll bear it in mind, and might do it without the breadcrumbs - sacrilege no doubt :D

I think it would taste as nice without the breadcrumbs; the flavour comes from the sauce. I'll dig out my German recipe book and see if there is a recipe in there, if not I'll ask my sister if you want. And I think un-breaded chicken breast actually would work really well with it
meriad

Postby Diflower » 11 Oct 2013, 15:20

A proper recipe would be nice, thank you :)
No rush, I don't have any thin slices of anything at the moment ;)
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 11 Oct 2013, 16:20

My version, from the local Schnellimbiss outside RAF Wildenrath.

Pork steaks/cutlets. Cut off any rind of fat and save, beat to 1cm thick then breaded - whatever method you use.

Slowly and gently fry the cutlets on both sides, 4 to 5 mins per side, with any rind of fat, in a goodly amount of butter. Not so hot that the butter burns. Remove and set aside.

In the same pan sauté a finely chopped medium onion, you might need more butter or a plash of oil. When the onion is translucent add about eight sliced button or closed cap mushrooms for a minute or two then add two dsp of paprika for another minute. Now add about 300ml of good chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Turn low and add 200ml of cream and stir to make the sauce.

Now the controversial bit. I would put the cutlets in the sauce to heat through, but if was to do as Ria suggested I would have put them under a low grill while I made the sauce.

Chips or small rosti go really well with a side of fresh coleslaw and some crusty bread.
Workingman

Postby Diflower » 11 Oct 2013, 18:46

Thanks WM :)

I'd have to twiddle it a bit anyway, I can't eat that much cream - a dollop of creme fraiche would do though.
Can't imagine it with chips and coleslaw, is that how it's usually served? Rice and a green veg would be more likely for us - I do like the sound of it though, and will definitely try it :)
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 11 Oct 2013, 19:57

In the Balkan Grill the coleslaw was served in a separate bowl, and the chips with the schnitzel.

I am looking forward to Ria's recipe..... a change is as good as a rest.
Workingman

Previous

Return to In The Kitchen