Chinese chicken and mushroom.

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Chinese chicken and mushroom.

Postby Workingman » 16 Feb 2016, 21:37

This is so easy and will serve three or four.

Mushrooms
1 chicken breast
2 dsp Oyster sauce
2 dsp Soy sauce
Sherry/rice wine - glug
Cornflour paste
Water
Rice or noodles
Stir-fry veg
Oil

Cut the chicken breast into small cubes and fry till cooked: set aside. In the same pan fry the mushrooms for a minute, add the soy and oyster sauces and cook for 30 seconds then add a good glug of Sherry and enough water to cover and cook for a few mins. Put the chicken back in the fry pan or wok with the mushrooms, add the cornflour paste and cook out till thickened.

Serve on a bed of noodles/rice and stir-fry veg.
Workingman

Re: Chinese chicken and mushroom.

Postby Diflower » 16 Feb 2016, 22:29

Funnily enough, I was intending making something similar tonight.
Chicken wings, cooked in the oven (my years-old mix of hoisin, sweet chilli and soy sauces, cook till done then drizzle tiny bit of honey for 5 mins).

Noodles and veg were indeed meant to be cooked with oyster sauce, soy and splash of sherry (plus ginger and garlic of course) - then discovered there was no oyster sauce! :o :D
There was however a bit in a bottle of plum sauce, which worked fine, although a bit sweet so added a little squeeze of lemon - plus a tiny drop of sesame oil at the end :)

Btw, with your recipe, I'd marinate the chicken (even for 10 mins) in a teaspoon of cornflour and one of soy; it will then be a bit crispy and also no need for cornflour later (not that I used that anyway today).
And if using egg noodles, then sesame oil is definitely a good investment for that authentic Chinese 'certain something' :) Using dried, I soak them in boiling water then drain and toss in a few drops of it. These were the bargain 10p fresh ones I got last week so added the sesame oil right at the end of stir-frying with the veg.
Diflower

Re: Chinese chicken and mushroom.

Postby Workingman » 17 Feb 2016, 21:42

Di, I have a bottle of stir-fry oil. It is a mix of sesame, olive and coconut oils, absolutely necessary on noodles... but only a few drops. Good tip.

I'll try the soy and cornflour marinade on my next cook. Done like that the sauce is more translucent, I do it with sweet and sour.
Workingman

Return to In The Kitchen