Pir piri, Alentajana

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Pir piri, Alentajana

Postby tonicha » 08 Feb 2013, 21:49

Use as many chillies as you want, but use the small ones. Chop off the stalk ends, chuck 'em in a jar.

Add as much or as little decent olive oil (over here, we have acidity levels, use as low as you can get - or as she said, nao faz mal, which means, it doesn't really matter :roll: Anything under 1% should be okay.

Put oil and chillies in a tall screw top jar, add about 250ml of whisky and leave for 3 months.

Blummin lethal it is :lol:

She actually showed me using a jar of grao, can't think what they're called in English - oh yes, chick peas. use one of those - and about a quarter of it should be with whisky. Or however much you want.

There doesn't seem to be any real amounts, just chuck it all in and see what happens................
tonicha

Re: Pir piri, Alentajana

Postby Diflower » 08 Feb 2013, 21:57

Is that it, just chillies and olive oil and whisky? Blimey...good use for WM's lethal dried ones too :)

We have a couple of miniatures of whisky, they were in a present of Bb's years ago, it's one thing neither of us drinks, they could be useful after all :)
Diflower

Postby tonicha » 08 Feb 2013, 22:00

Very simple, a lot of the local dishes Di.

The bean thingy I do, it is just white beans, bay leaves, red onion, red pepper and water. I just add different things to give it a different flavour, depending on what I'm puting it on the plate with.
tonicha

Postby tonicha » 08 Feb 2013, 22:01

Thinking about it, I think it's the oil we use, a lot lot better than the stuff I used to get in England.
tonicha

Postby Diflower » 08 Feb 2013, 22:12

Oh yes the oil's loverly, almost good enough to drink :)
Everything else is so good and fresh too though, the garlic and peppers, etc.
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 08 Feb 2013, 22:13

Three months!

I like the Peir Peri version with lemon grass, oregano, lime juice, chilies, garlic, black pepper, bay leaf and paprika, but the whisky version sounds good.
Workingman

Return to In The Kitchen