Which oven

For all your recipes, food and drink ideas and discussions

Which oven

Postby tonicha » 04 Mar 2016, 15:59

What I'd like is a self-cleaning, fan assisted electric oven.

What would be your brand of choice.

I don't have a massive budget, but happy to pay about 300 ish for one.
tonicha

Re: Which oven

Postby Diflower » 04 Mar 2016, 17:41

Mine's Cannon, will be 10 years old next month and I'm still happy with it; I'd had Cannon before.
Temperature very accurate.
I'd never have just a single oven though, especially with two of you.
The small top oven is not a fan oven but heats up quicker, and is cheaper to run.
Most of the time I use that -look for small-sized oven trays that fit beside each other for instance. I can do chicken pieces on/in one dish, a tray of roasting veg both at once.
Actual roasts, and whole chickens go in the main oven.
Silly to pay to use the big oven when it's often one dish, like a baked pasta, one-tray chicken, etc :)

And when you want to you can have a big roast in the bottom and use the top hotter for Yorkshires ;)
Diflower

Postby Kaz » 04 Mar 2016, 17:47

I had a very expensive Smeg oven here when we moved in, the original oven, but when that went kaput we got a much cheaper Indesit and if anything I find that better! :D 8-)

Oh and yes, definitely get a double oven :)
Kaz

Postby Workingman » 04 Mar 2016, 19:18

Deffo a double.

I have a free standing gas cooker but bought a fan assisted counter-top model for meals for one or two. Di's tip about the small trays is worth doing as well. I can do a half chicken with oven chips and veg that way.
Workingman

Postby tonicha » 04 Mar 2016, 19:37

Okay, thanks for that. My problem would be sockets. I have 3 in the kitchen :o :shock: :shock: :shock: Normal for Portugal :roll: :roll: And one on the other side for the gas hob.

To have another socket (s) put in would involve surface mounting cables - or having to chop out the plaster then try and match it up, which won't work here - we know from others experience.

So it's going tp have to be a single oven - and I'm not having the microwave on top, as we hardly use it.

And switching from solar to edp in the winter means I have to keep changing the clocks :evil: :roll: :?
tonicha

Postby Diflower » 04 Mar 2016, 19:47

It only uses one socket, it's a single appliance with two ovens :?
You said you had a big budget for the kitchen, the oven is important.
More so than when you were down south too ;)
Diflower

Postby Workingman » 04 Mar 2016, 19:56

tonicha wrote:... and I'm not having the microwave on top, as we hardly use it.

Same as me, and everyone I know, we just have to have one, so get a counter-top fan cooker instead, you will use that. It is a lot lighter than a microwave so can be put away when not in use, but you will always be using it... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Workingman

Postby tonicha » 04 Mar 2016, 20:04

Sorry, Grumpy didn't explain himself very well.

We have to have one socket which has to be for a cooker/oven - this house has been set up for a gas oven, as most houses are in Portugal. Gas is a lot cheaper than lecky here. So all our sockets are for normal usage, kettle, whizzer, steamer.

For a double oven, you need a thicker cable and also a higher amperage thingy. So a double oven is out.
tonicha

Postby tonicha » 04 Mar 2016, 20:08

And he's just clarified more stuff.

The wiring in Portugal is very different to England, we don'0t have ring mains here. So the socket I have are what I can have. If I want more, then it's back to the extension cables - which I had about 3, back in Fuzeta :roll: :roll: :roll: Or surface mounting - this house only got mains lecky 2 years ago :shock: :shock: so the wiring for the gas cooker, which is gas, but with electric fans on the grill and oven, is surface mounted.
tonicha

Postby Workingman » 04 Mar 2016, 20:16

Ton, are you avoiding me? :shock: :roll: :roll:

Go have a look at counter-top ovens. They are cheap as chips to buy and run, and for only the two of you will work fine. They will do a whole roast dinner for two, whether a joint or a chicken.

The one thing they will not do is gravy, you will need to get a chef in for that, but that would be the same whatever oven you buy. ;) :lol: :lol: :roll:
Workingman

Next

Return to In The Kitchen